ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2011-05 > 1305654954

From: Eliz Hanebury <>
Subject: Re: [ROOTS-L] Civil War and Citizenship
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 13:55:54 -0400

Emigrants who served in the Army during the War could shorten their
wait to apply for citizenship. I believe they had to do the same
paperwork (which wasn't a lot) as anyone else.

If you go to the NARA site they have a lot about citizenship.

Around the time of the War I believe people applied in the county they
resided in, but I think it is possible that if they lived nearer to
another county seat they could apply there.

The rules changed frequently <G>

Eliz