ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2011-06 > 1307560094

From: Nelda Percival <>
Subject: Re: [ROOTS-L] ok I am convinced about DNA testing but...
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 14:08:14 -0500

Les,
lets try an example if I can figure it out.
EXAMPLE:
Your Great Great Grandfather Tom Jones marrys Linda Brown they have three sons. Dick Larry and Garry.
Dick marries Mary Black, and has 1 son 1 daughter; Larry marries Jane Gilpin, and has 2 daughters, Garry marries Janet Lewis, and has 5 sons 4 daughters.

Any one of their descendants would be cousins to Linda Brown's Siblings' children. and any one of their descendants,

But not only that all of dick's descendants would be cousins to all of Mary Blacks sibblings' childrens' descendants. And this would happen with each child of each line at each generation.

And you don't want to know the mixture if children of any of these lines happen to marry each other.

It is extreemly hard to say with 100% accuracy that you know all the descendants of your 64 ancestors at the - what is that 5th cousin level? and who they would share DNA with.

I've been doing extended genealogy (descendants of the marital partners siblings) since I started back 15 years ago and even I can't say I found all the genetic relationship descendants of all 64 of my ancestors.

By the way I have been a Y-DNA admin at FTDNA since 2005

Nelda http://freepages.folklore.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~bonsteinandgilpin/

This thread: