ROOTSMAGIC-USERS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTSMAGIC-USERS > 2004-06 > 1086458427

From: "Earl Cory" <>
Subject: RE: [RMagic] Re: ROOTSMAGIC-USERS-D Digest V04 #128
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2004 11:02:01 -0700

Folks,

To upload a website, you need a place to upload it to. These are called by
various names, but the most common is an Internet Service Provider (ISP).
They very from $0 up to thousands, but most typically, around $15 per month.
(you get what you pay for)

Your ISP will provide you with the information you need for you File
Transfer Protocol (FTP) client, the username, password, and Internet
Protocol (IP) address.

If you want to have your website easily viewable, you will need a domain
name. A domain name, simply, is the name someone type into the address
window of their browser. For example, CoryFamSoc.com is a domain name.

The registration of a Domain Name typically costs $35 per year, with
multi-year discounts. There are a variety of registering companies, some
cheaper, but again, you get what you pay for. I would recommend, either
Network Solutions or Register.com.

When you register or any time after registration, you will be able to enter
a Domain Name Server (DNS) address. The DNS is what tells folks where your
website is located, i.e., it associates/translates the Domain Name into an
IP address.

You ISP will provide you with their Name Server address when you sign up.
They are typically of the form, ns1.myhostingcompany.com and
ns2.myhostingcompany.com.

Earl Cory
Web Designer
Cory Computer Systems
"Time is what stops everything from happening at once!"