ROOTSMAGIC-USERS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTSMAGIC-USERS > 2004-06 > 1086458968

From: "Earl Cory" <>
Subject: RE: [RMagic] Re: ROOTSMAGIC-USERS-D Digest V04 #128
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2004 11:09:28 -0700

One thing I left out. A URL is a universal resource locator. It is not
really needed for FTP, the IP address is all that is needed. Many ISPs
provide you with an FTP server host name, like ftp.rootsweb.com, but this is
not a URL (although some call it that.)

A URL is http://newsletters.rootsweb.com. The associated ftp url might be
ftp://newsletter.rootsweb.com. You notice there is a difference in the
first part of the URL, this indicates the protocol that is used on the
server, hyper text transport protocol vs. file transfer protocol. Also note
the difference in this from the ftp server host name from above.

Earl Cory
Web Designer
Cory Computer Systems
"Time is what stops everything from happening at once!"