ROOTSMAGIC-USERS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTSMAGIC-USERS > 2006-10 > 1162311801

From: "Simon Atkin" <>
Subject: Re: [RMagic] Data not showing in RM Explorer
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 16:23:21 -0000

Alfred,

It's a UK thing. All births, marriages and deaths are recorded by local
Register Offices. They send details of these BMD events to the general
Register Office (GRO) who compile national indexes. These indexes are
organised by event and quarter year. So for all births occurring in
Jan, Feb or Mar of a year there is a birth register, referred to as the
March quarter. Similarly Apr, May and Jun are in the June quarter. The
same goes for Sep and Dec quarters.

The GRO public search rooms hold all the indexes from England and Wales,
at least one printed volume per event per quarter per year from 1837
onwards.

Hope this explains it a bit.

Regards,
Simon