ROOTSMAGIC-USERS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTSMAGIC-USERS > 2007-03 > 1173149548

From: "MScheffler" <>
Subject: Re: [RMagic] People without a Surname
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 21:52:28 -0500

There is probably no perfect solution that everyone likes. I keep
hoping that the professional genealogists will come up with a standard which
would be preferable to all of our different work-arounds.

I use the nick name field a lot, so Anne's solution would not work for
me.

Until a better convention comes about, I use brackets around the
married surname when the woman's surname is unknown, i.e. Nancy Ann
[Hotchkiss]. I have never been happy having no surname at all for the woman
and at least the married surname gives her some identity. The brackets work
well in the identification process with multiple husbands, where I use the
first married name and add the other husbands just as one would do with a
woman whose surname was known..

I had begun a few years back using ( ) around the married surname;
but this is the standard for a missing surname, so I quickly changed to the
brackets when I realized I was being misleading.

To prevent misunderstandings on my WorldConnect database, I explain how
I use the brackets. These bracketed names all sort together.

Margaret Scheffler