ROOTSMAGIC-USERS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTSMAGIC-USERS > 2007-03 > 1173207988

From: Ruth Christ <>
Subject: Re: [RMagic] People without a Surname/Margaret
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 13:06:28 -0600

I use a style similar to Margaret's but including more of the husband's
name in inverted form, e.g. Nancy Ann [Hotchkiss, Mrs. James]. For my
Norwegians, I use the farm at time of birth in the surname field (yes, I
know it's not a surname), but if I don't know what that is, I put the
earliest associated farm in brackets. That beats dealing with long lists
of Anna Larsdtr.s. in a database for a whole kommune. I "inherited"
management of a database using nothing in the surname field and it is not
fun to try to locate the right Ole Olson.

What I would really like to see is a separate field for patronyms in the
GEDCOM standard to deal with the fact that sometimes Olson is a patronym
and sometimes it really is a surname.

Ruth C.