ROOTSMAGIC-USERS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTSMAGIC-USERS > 2007-11 > 1194028967

From: "Geraldine Livers" <>
Subject: [RMagic] GenSmarts
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 13:42:47 -0500

So far, I've been eavesdropping on the list! I've been seeing references to
Gen Smarts which until now was an unknown to me. So I searched the web and
of course get glowing reports of their software.

Now, I'd like some testimonials from those of you who use it regularly.
Since 1980; I've moved my data from PAF to Family Origins and finally to
RootsMagic. Had a short go at FamilyTree (didn't like it). My research has
hit several brick walls and so has my enthusiasm; but I surely could use
some help with my Walker, Warren, Williams brick walls - so if GenSmarts
would do that I'm willing to give it a try. However my research time is
limited; so:
Is it difficult to learn to use? (I'm fairly computer literate!)
Do you get better results from it than from the RootsWeb sites and
the Family History Library. I've spent many hours at the Family History
Library in Salt Lake; also the Allen County Library in Fort Wayne, Indiana;
and Mid-Continent Library in Independence, MO; and those families just
evade me any earlier than 1835. I can make lots of 'guesses' - but that's
not a good idea. I've also done minimal research in Illinois, TN and NC.
Some of my family names are:
Whisnant, Warlick, Walker, Warren, Williams, Mount, Coon,
Ascherbranner, Faulk, Conrow,Smock, Lane, Vancouvenhoven, Vannote, and a
host of other Dutch families.

So, I'm willing to try something else; if...
Geraldine Whisnant Livers
Lawrence, KS

This thread: