ROOTSMAGIC-USERS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTSMAGIC-USERS > 2008-05 > 1210744647

From: "Mail Lists" <>
Subject: Re: [RMagic] Request for advice about managing multiple databases
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 22:55:26 -0700

Here is my 2 cents worth

First step is to clean up the new database to fit your master database
standards for names, capitalization, places, fact usage, and source formats,
and anything else that is different.

Next identify each intersection between the master and the new database. By
intersection, I mean where each duplicate line matches and which descendants
are repeated. This is a perfect task to perform with side by side databases
open. Make necessary adjustments to the new data to match the master
database.

I perform my merge here, one individual at a time. Once merged, I put a
"code" in the Title Suffix field (new database) to indicate that this
individual has been merged. When I get to the point that all descendants of
this individual are new, then I drag the line over to the master, and mark
the new database individuals with the "code".

This is a slower process, but cleaner and can be stopped and restarted
easily at any time. When you think your finished, just search the new
database for individuals who do not have the "code" to insure noone was
missed.

Dick