ROOTSMAGIC-USERS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTSMAGIC-USERS > 2008-05 > 1211227227

From: Keith Thompson <>
Subject: Re: [RMagic] Reference numbers
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 16:00:27 -0400

The record number is a database index number. As you add or delete
individuals, the index will only build UNTIL, you export a gedcom and
then import. I don't believe that the index number (record number) is
changed when you compress. A number of years ago, there was published a
means of converting the record number to a permanent reference number
fact. This was done by exporting a gedcom and then using a word
processor to find and replace/add the reference number from the record
number. Its probably in the archives of the old FO list. I may have it
in my background if you are interested. Once you did this process, you
would have to maintain manually, the reference number in that fact.

Keith Thompson