ROOTSMAGIC-USERS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTSMAGIC-USERS > 2008-11 > 1226951232

From: Alfred Eller <>
Subject: Re: [RMagic] Can't restore backup
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 13:47:12 -0600

I hope that you hadn't added anything to your database recently.

When you Backup a database it compresses all the files in that database,
using the present filenames.
When you restore a backup file, it just uncompresses these files, the
names remain the same as they were when in the database you backed up.
If you answer YES to the overwrite question, it overwrites the original
database. (To prevent this, you can restore it in a different folder.)

You DO NOT restore to an empty database, The New, empty database remains
new and empty. unless you named it the same as the original, which you
couldn't have done without deleting or moving the original out of the
folder where you created.

You IMPORT a GEDCOM file into an existing database.

There is entirely too much misinformation being put forward on this list
by people ignorant about how RootsMagic works but trying to be
helpful..The entire WEB has the same problem, along with intentional
misinformation.

Alfred D. Eller
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~adelr/index.htm

W May wrote:
> Thanks for the quick reply. I did try to restore to an empty database and
> YESed the overwrite, but it still informs me that the backup "was not fully
> restored" and there is no data displayed.
>
> Bill May

This thread: