ROOTSMAGIC-USERS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTSMAGIC-USERS > 2008-11 > 1226985108

From: Alfred Eller <>
Subject: Re: [RMagic] Can't restore backup
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 23:11:48 -0600

Oh yes, I forgot that Windows now shows the contents of a zip file just
like it was a folder.

"C:\Program Files\RootsMagic\ " tells me that you are using Vista and
your database is normally in the program folder.
(I should have guessed you were trying to use Vista.)

First off, Microsoft doesn't want anyone to change anything in the
"Program Files" folder
I have preached against this many times, but many people haven't heard
my sermon yet.

Create new folders for your databases and other data files, either
directly in a drive or in My Documents.
Go to the RootsMagic Tools>Options and set the Files options to point to
these folders.

Now try restoring that backup in that designated folder, NOT under
Program Files.

Alfred D. Eller
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~adelr/index.htm

This thread: