ROOTSMAGIC-USERS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTSMAGIC-USERS > 2011-01 > 1294845849

From: Alfred Eller <>
Subject: Re: [RMagic] Unmarried Partners
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 09:24:09 -0600

That would be possible for the programmers.
But there are more opinions on what term should be used than there are
programs available.
If you can't live with it the way it is, you will probably have to hire
someone to write you a custom program.

Personally, I hate the use of the term "Partner" almost as much as
"Special Friend" in this context.

Alfred Eller
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~adelr/index.htm

Ann Brown wrote:
> Alfred and all,
>
> I don't know if it is possible but if there was a way to make the
> persons in the relationship "partner" rather than spouse until you
> join them by a marriage and then refer to them as a spouse. Would
> that be possible?
> Ann
>
> On 1/12/11, Alfred Eller <> wrote:
>
>> Do you suppose that is why they use the word "spouse"?
>> It is a bit less offensive than some of the other terms.
>>
>> The use of the Marriage fact signifies whether they are married or not.
>> Spouse does not try to assume that there was a marriage.
>>
>> The term "Breeding partner" was probably used in exasperation because
>> this topic has come up so many times that we are getting tired of it.
>> New people havent seen the earlier discussions so they ask the same
>> questions that the new people hae asked for several years.
>>
>> A little patience and compassion and for new people and their questions
>> should be used.
>> But, I know that it does get to us old folks after answering the same
>> question a hundred times.
>>
>> Alfred Eller
>> http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~adelr/index.htm

>>> So you wouldn't mind introducing your 80-year-old grandmother's new
>>> husband as
>>> her "breeding partner" ?
>>>
>>> I find that disgusting ... it sounds like a family of lab rats.

This thread: