ROSCOMMON-L Archives

Archiver > ROSCOMMON > 2011-10 > 1319777874

From: "Fran Weeks" <>
Subject: Re: [ROSCOMMON] 1842 rent roll from the Mahon estate in Strokestown
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 00:57:54 -0400

Hi Marylee,
I know that Boyle is outside of your particular area of interest, but
somehow, on May 30, 1847, my seventeen-year-old gr-gr-grandfather, Robert
Gavican aka GAVAGAN, of Boyle, County Roscommon, managed to get aboard the
small Bark AJAX and sail out of Dublin Harbor and arrived some six weeks
later at Grosse Ile, Canada. The AJAX became known as one of the notorious
famine ships of 1847, once she had discharged her dead and dying cargo of
Irish immigrants onto the shores of the quarrentine station of Grosse Ile.
Eventually, young Robert made his way to Montreal and then finally to
Boston, MA, where he settled down, married, and raised a family of nine
children.
My question to you is...have you any knowledge of any groups or
landlords who paid the cost of the tickets for some of their destitute
tenant farmers to make that horrible journey from their homes in Boyle to
Montreal, and ultimately to Boston, Massachusetts?
Robert got on board as Robert Gavican and got off of the ship as Robert
Gavagan. There was another man aboard with a similiar surname; he was a man
in his sixties by the name of Timothy Gavaghan. I don't know if he and
Robert were related in some way, but poor Tim died just before entering the
harbor, and that's all I know about him.
Was there some one person or organization that provided the means for
people who wished to leave Ireland to go to the United States?
Congratulations to you for all that you have uncovered and written about
in your quest for information about Ballykilcline. You must be so proud of
being a published author! Not an easy task by any means.
Regards,
Fran

----- Original Message ---BarkFrom: <>