ROSSGEN-L Archives

Archiver > ROSSGEN > 2007-06 > 1181031302

From: <>
Subject: Re: [ROSSGEN] Bethunes at Inveran
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 09:15:02 +0100

Jan

Inveran is in the parish of Creich - it's on the opposite bank of the river Shin to Invershin - but on the Sutherland (north) bank of the Kyle. The National Library of Scotland have many historical maps on their website. It was a small property - of old belonging to the Munros but which passed through various owners in the second half of the 18th century until bought by the Duke of Sutherland in 1824.

Most of the info comes from sheriff court records. Plus Edinburgh Gazette.

More Bethune from a court of session process (CS237/R/9/51) dating from Oct 1830. John Bethune residing Torran-na-bhuachil parish of Creich Gaelic [illit] aged 70 last New Year’s Day. born Baddarach parish of Kincardine when less than 1 year parents moved to Arskaig of Gruids A year later Duchally: 5 years. Parents moved to Lintside 5 years. He went to Inveran until about 6 years ago. Father and mother died Inveran “many years ago, and he had his home there, only that he was occasionally out at work at other places...was employed both as a ferryman and fisherman on the river Shin for many years...the ferryboat was then below the place where the bridge over the Shin now is...thinks he was upwards of thirty years of age before he was employed as a ferryman and fisherman..” (Bethune about 32 when married).

I should be very grateful if you could tell me what happened to the Bethunes in the period up to 1860 - if that's possible. Many thanks

Malcolm