ROWANROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROWANROOTS > 1997-04 > 0861790636

From: Roger Nicholson <>
Subject: CASS/NICHOLSON in Wilkes/Iredell
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 03:17:16 -0700

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has any information on the NICHOLSON and
CASS
families of northern Iredell Co./southern Wilkes Co. in the area of
Hunting Creek.
I've found many references to a Samuel NICHOLSON, Lazarus NICHOLSON and
Boman CASS/CAST in the area in the early 1800's in deed and land
transfer
records. Many members of the CASS family attended Grassy Knob Church in
Iredell Co., and my great grandfather may be buried there.

The NICHOLSON name hits a dead end in my records with a
Benjamin (Ezekial) CASS married to Polly NICHOLSON . They had a number
of
children which took the mother's name. I'm beginning to suspect that
Benjamin
was married more than once and may have never married Polly at all,
although
the family says that he did. I cannot find any reference to Polly
outside
of family records and I cannot find either Benjamin's or Polly's
parents.
(I've been trying to find out about this family for more than 25 years,
but
only the last few months on the internet!)

Could anybody tell me if "Polly" is a common nickname for something
else?

Here's what I have (I would consider my sources questionable at this
point):

Benjamin (Ezekial) CASS b. Wilkes, NC d. Union Grove, NC
Polly NICHOLSON b. 14 Nov 1838 Wilkes, NC d. 8 Oct 1915 Union Grove, NC
buried 10 Oct 1915 Sweet Home Church
Children:
Dorcus CASS b. 1856 Wilkes, NC
Rufus CASS b. 1858 Wilkes, NC
Clinny NICHOLSON b. 26 Mar 1860 Wilkes, NC d. 13 Oct 1918 bur. Sweet
Home Church
Lewis Worth NICHOLSON b. 11 Mar 1862 Wilkes, NC d. 11 Mar 1862 Grassy
Knob Church
Racheal NICHOLSON b. 15 Dec 1869 Wilkes, NC d. 6 Nov 1916 bur. Sweet
Home Church
Abraham Abel NICHOLSON b. 1 May 1871 Wilkes, NC d. 21 Dec 1965 Sweet
Home Church
Clembine NICHOLSON b. 20 Jun 1877 Wilkes, NC d. 2 Feb 1947
Barbara NICHOLSON b. 29 Nov 1880 Wilkes, NC d. 29 Jul 1926 Sweet Home
Church
Sara NICHOLSON ???

Any information that anybody could share would be greatly appreciated!!

Best regards,
Roger Nicholson

Researching: NICHOLSON, CASS, MONEY/MONY, BALL, SHIELDS, RAPER,
STARBUCK, COOPER

This thread: