RUNYON-L Archives

Archiver > RUNYON > 1999-09 > 0936838784

From: "Norman L. Runyon" <>
Subject: Famous Runyons: Frances June Runyon
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 20:59:44 -0400

Hi all,
I think that some of you have sent information on this cousin
previously. Her line, starting with her father, is Clinton A. Runyon,
Sr. s/o William Henry Harrison Runyon s/o Sampson Runyon s/o John
Runyon, Jr. s/o John Runyon, Sr. of Brocks Gap, Rockingham County, VA.
Here are copies of a couple of her obits, from 5 years ago, which I have
just received.
Norman

> Source: Santa Cruz Sentinel May 17, 1994
>
> JUNE RUNYON
>
> Memorial services will be Thursday for June Runyon, who died Sunday
in
> Santa Cruz. She was 88.
> A native of Chanute, Kan., Ms. Runyon taught ballet in Oklahoma for
50
> years, operating ballet schools in Bartlesville and Tulsa.
> When she was young, her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Clinton Runyon, owned
the
> Airdome Theatre in Barnsdall, where she trained with international
> artists who played there. She studied ballet in Tulsa with Betty B.
> Roberts
> Ms. Runyon danced with the Chicago Civic Opera Ballet under the
> direction of Michel Fokine. When the company folded, she returned to
> Tulsa to teach.
> She was artistic director of Junior Dance Theatre of the Tulsa Civic
> Ballet for 16 years and as a master teacher, greatly influenced
young
> dancers.
> She retired to Santa Cruz in 1980. Here, she showed her love of
nature
> by working in her flower and vegetable gardens.
> She is survived by her brother, Clinton A.Runyon, of Lafayette, LA.;
her
> niece, Mrs. June Nelson, of Richardson, Texas; two grandnephews; one
> grandniece; and three cousins.
> Memorial services will begin at 2 p.m. Thursday at Norman's Family
> Chapel, 3620 Soquel Drive. Soquel.
> The end.
>
> Source: Santa Cruz Sentinel May 18, 1994
>
> RUNYON-In Santa Cruz, CA on May 15, 1994. June Runyon. Survived by
her
> brother Clinton A. Runyon of Lafayette, LA; niece, Mrs Marque (June)
> Nelson of Richardson, TX; grand-nephews, Marque Nelson Jr. and Eric
> Nelson; grand-niece, Dana Meixell, and her cousins, Richard
McKiranan of
> San Diego, Mrs. Edward (Caroline) Gibson of Oakland, and Mrs.
Michael
> (Sally) Munde of Lake Orion , Michigan.
> Born June 21, 1905 in Chanute, Kansas, June was a teacher of ballet
in
> Oklahoma for fifty years, operating ballet schools in Bartlesville
and
> Tulsa, Oklahoma. In her early years, June's parents, Mr. and Mrs.
> Clinton Runyon, owned the Airdome Theatre in Barnsdall and June had
the
> opportunity to train with international artists who played at the
> theatre. June studied ballet in Tulsa with Betty B. Roberts, and
danced
> with the Chicago Civic Opera Ballet under the direction of Michel
> Fokine. With the demise of the company, June returned to Oklahoma
and
> began her teaching career. She was Artistic Director of the Junior
Dance
> Theatre of the Tulsa Civic Ballet for 16 years. As Artistic
Director,
> June choreographed very creative, inventive and artistic ballets for
the
> young dancers. June was magic when it came to creating her
theatrical
> masterpieces. She was a perfectionaist and demanded technical
perfection
> from her dancers. June's influence on the young dancers, and ballet
in
> general, was felt throught the United States. She was a master
teacher.
> In 1980, June retired to Santa Cruz, where, again, everyone she came
in
> contact with became her devoted friend. Her retirement years in
Santa
> Cruz, spent working in her flower and vegetable gardens, were very
> happy. June had an intense love of nature, especially beautiful
flowers.
> Her family, friends, and students will miss her, but she will live
> forever in their memories.
> Memorial Services will be held Thursday, May 19, 1994 at Norman's
Family
> Chapel, 3620 Soquel Dr. In Soquel, CA beginning at 2:00 p.m. (Vince
> Azzaro, Director)
> The end

This thread: