RUS-SARATOV-SCHILLING-L Archives

Archiver > RUS-SARATOV-SCHILLING > 2007-06 > 1183146021

Subject: [RUS-SARATOV-SCHILLING] SOAR databases
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 14:40:21 -0500

To access the SOAR databases, go here:
http://www.ahsgrsoar.org/search/SearchSoar.aspx

Then enter a surname, or whatever you want to search on. If you search on
something like Obituaries, and search on "Maul", it doesn't just find Maul
obituaries, but every obituary where the surname Maul occurs.

Also, be advised of the price. If you are an AHSGR member, you have to
get a member user ID. The price is $1 per page for members, and $3 for
non AHSGR members.

You will see dates on the obituary search return. Many of the obituaries up
to the 1950's are in German, and I don't know of anyone that does
translation. Also available are some cemetery records, the AHSGR Clues
yearly books, AHSGR Journals, and copies Pleve Surname Charts which
sell for $50 if your a member.

Also of note is that the record displayed is covered with visible watermarks,
which cover up most of the page, except the first row or two. So you don't
see the whole page.

Be advised that I'm not recommending the service because of the price, but
if you find an obituary which provides information that you don't have, it can
be worth it.

Gary Martens
Schilling VC

This thread: