RUTLEDGE-L Archives

Archiver > RUTLEDGE > 1998-10 > 0908714914

From: Marie Kelly Privitt< >
Subject: Re: [RUTLEDGE-L] John, Thomas, James, George Rutledge
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 07:48:34 -0500

Hi....
I have Brig Gen George Rutledge, 1755ca Va-1813Tn (Wm Rutledge/Eleanor
{Nelly} Caldwell} gpGeo Rutledge/Mary Gamble; md Annis Armstrong 1802
Stoney Point Tn.(Wm Armstrong . They had 12 children . I believe all born
in Sullivan Co. Tn. from 1789-1809.
Am I right?
Marie

----------
> Subject: [RUTLEDGE-L] John, Thomas, James, George Rutledge
> Date: Wednesday, October 14, 1998 7:22 AM
>
> Faye: I found a print out that I had saved which you wrote on 97-08-12.
You
> gave George Rutledge b c 1723, d 1779, Tyron Co., NC, md Jean
Leghorn/Cleghorn
> and you gave his children. Somehow I do not agree with what you sent.
Take a
> look and especially at the Cemetery Records that I found. You have
George
> Rutledge who married Annis Armstrong as a child of George & Jean, I am
almost
> certain that that is incorrect. Rachel Demaree Clemons
>
> 1. RUTLEDGE1 was born in IR.
> Children of RUTLEDGE are:
> i.JOHN2 RUTLEDGE, d. 1751, Augusta Co., VA.
> Notes for JOHN RUTLEDGE:
> !WILL:From Leandro Andrea File, Film, Salt Lake; 1751 Augusta Co., VA,
John
> Rutledge, names brothers, William, & Thomas, sisters Catherine Marshall
and
> Jean Rutledge and nephew George Rutledge. Nephew George was partner of
James
> Bell. (Note by Rachel Clemons-- believe that Jean Rutledge was sister in
law
> and widow of James Rutledge who died abt 1741-50.
> ii.WILLIAM RUTLEDGE.
> Notes for WILLIAM RUTLEDGE:
> !OTHER:William Rutledge named as brother in will of John Rutledge who
died
> 1751
> This could be the same William that married Eleanor Caldwell. No proof!
> iii.CATHERINE RUTLEDGE, b. Abt. 1752; m. WILLIAM MARSHALL.
> Notes for WILLIAM MARSHALL:
> !OTHER:Catherine Marshall named as sister to John Rutledge who died in
1751
> and in deed Bk7 page 327, Aug. Co., VA, 5.2.1756, Wiliam Marshall is
named as
> one of the heirs and legatees.
> iv.THOMAS RUTLEDGE m Jean Armstrong
> 2.v.JAMES RUTLEDGE, d. Abt. 1742.
>

> Generation No. 2
>
> 2. JAMES2 RUTLEDGE (RUTLEDGE1) died Abt. 1742. He married JEAN.
> Notes for JAMES RUTLEDGE:
> No. 1 Auguta Court Aug. 29, 1750 pg 430 Jean Rutledge renounces her
right to
> administer the estate of her husband James Rutledge.
> Nov 1758 Judgments Augusta Court: Stevenson vs Shirkey. Shirkey on bond
of
> James Rutledge who died insolvent so Shirkey had to pay bond.
> Aug 1752 Purviance vs Strother Admstr. of James Rutledge
> James Rutledge of Lancaster Co. PA and Robert Dunning of Ponsbosrough in
> Lancaster Co. PA bond to Samuel Blanton 1741.
> Order book 4, Augusta Co. Court, May 16, 1754 pg 198 Thomas Rutledge
brother
> and admstr. of John Rutledge dec'd
> Child of JAMES RUTLEDGE and JEAN is:
> i.GEORGE3 RUTLEDGE, m. JEAN CLEGHORN.
> Notes for GEORGE RUTLEDGE:
> Believe that this is the nephew of John Rutledge. He is probably the
husband
> of Jean (Leghorn/Cleghorn.
>
> THOMAS2 RUTLEDGE (RUTLEDGE1) was born Abt. 1721, and died Abt. 1785 in
Aug.
> Co. VA. He married JEAN ARMSTRONG Abt. 1739 in VA, daughter of JAMES
> ARMSTRONG.
> Children of THOMAS RUTLEDGE and JEAN ARMSTRONG are:
> i.ANN3 RUTLEDGE, b. Abt. 1740; d. Bef. 1809; m. JAMES HENDERSON.
> ii.JEAN RUTLEDGE, b. 1742, Augusta Co., VA; m. JONATHAN BROOKS.
> iii.JOHN RUTLEDGE, b. 1744; d. 1814, Montg. Co., VA; m. MARTHA ALLISON.
> WILL:Mentioned in will of John Allison as son in law
> !WILL:John Rutledge's will probated Mar. 1815, names nephew John
> Rutledge, nieces Martha Allison and Sally Vanlier and John Ruddal.
> OTHER:Named in records of Tinkling Springs Church, bapt 10/Mar/1744
> WILL: dated 4/Dec 1814, Montg. Co., VA, pg 292, John names wife, Martha,
John
> Ruddell & John Rutledge, who is to take care of martha Rutledge during
her
> life. Makes bequeth unto Sally L. Vanlear, Martha Allison, Names William
E.
> Rutledge and James P. Preston as exec. Witness: George Rutledge, Edward
> Rutledge and James Rutledge. Presented in court March 1815.
> More About JOHN RUTLEDGE:
> Chr.: 10/Mar/1743-44, Tinkling Springs, Augusta Co., vA
>
> Notes for MARTHA ALLISON:
> WILL:Brief of Wills & Marriages in Montg. & Finc., VA, pg 45
Will--Allison,
> John Sr (of Botetourt Co.) Will probated June 1792, names wife, Lucy;,
> children William, Andrew, John, Sarah Vanlear and son-in-law John
> Rutledge.
> Will of Martha Rutledge, prob Oct. 1825
>
> 2.iv.GEORGE RUTLEDGE, b. 03/Feb/1744-45, Roanoke, Roanoke Co., VA; d.
> 29/Apr/1821, Montg. Co., VA.
> v.ELIZABETH RUTLEDGE, b. 1746, Aug. Co., VA; m. WILLIAM ARMSTRONG.
> vi.MARY ELIZABETH RUTLEDGE, b. Aug. Co., VA; d. 1808, TN; m. ROBERT
YOUNG,
> JR..
> Notes for MARY ELIZABETH RUTLEDGE:
> !OTHER:Elizabeth was christened at Tinkling Springs 1746. She may have
also
> been called Mary. There is a Mary Rutledge, b 1746, Aug. Co., VA, m
Robert
> Young. Robert d in Wash. Co. Tenn and probably Mary did too in 1808. They
were
> the parents of Thomas Young who married Mary Rutledge.
> Notes for ROBERT YOUNG, JR.: Pedigree chart by Josephine Houng Wooten
> OTHER:Cox Library Film at FHC Tucson, AZ-- #9--History of Augusta Co.,
VA.
> pg 39, 26 Jun 1740 the following people "proved their importation" having
come
> across from Ireland through Pennsylvania: Hugh Campbell and children
Esther
> and Sarah; Robert Young and his children, Agnes, John, Samuel and James;
this
> would be parent of Robert Jr.
> pg 4--notes by Rev. Craig--Robert son of Robert Young was bapt. Jan
22,
> 1742 and Mr. Craig further notes "Robert was born with teeth".
> 3.vii.JAMES RUTLEDGE, b. 29/Jan/1748-49, Aug. Co., VA; d. Bef. 1834,
VA.
> 4.viii.THOMAS RUTLEDGE, b. Abt. 1750, VA; d. Bef. 1834, VA.
> 5.ix.KATHARINE RUTLEDGE, b. Bet. 1759 - 1769, Aug. Co., VA; d. Bef.
> Oct/1808.
> 6.x.EDWARD RUTLEDGE, b. 10/Mar/1761, Augusta Co., VA; d. 30/Jun/1836,
Montg.