SACKETT-L Archives

Archiver > SACKETT > 2009-08 > 1249434411

From: Wendy Sacket <>
Subject: Re: [SACKETT] 1880 US Census entry for Augustus Sackett
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 18:06:51 -0700

8-4-2009
Nice sleuthing, Thurmon!
My first post about the 1861 Canada census, I saw an abbreviation that looked like "N.S." to me, so I assumed it stood for Nova Scotia. Evidently, that column typically has the abbreviations "U.C." for Upper Canada and "L.C." for Lower Canada. Since Ontario was considered to be Upper Canada, the abbreviation on the microfilm is probably "U.C."
On a related geographical note, Wolfe Island is located in Lake Ontario at the entrance to the Saint Lawrence River. (It is part of the Thousand Islands that gave their name to the salad dressing.) This part of Ontario is quite close to from Oswego County and not far from St. Lawrence County in New York. It is certainly possible that Ezekiel Sackett and his wife Hannah were natives of New York or may even connect up with the Vermont branch(es) of the family.