SACKETT-L Archives

Archiver > SACKETT > 2009-08 > 1250140284

From: Thurmon King <>
Subject: Re: [SACKETT] 1860 Census lookup
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 22:11:24 -0700

Kari,

In the database he is William Post Sackett (I30917), son of James Horton
Sackett and Jerusha Post. He married Margarette/Margret Elizabeth Garner,
daughter of Henry Garner born 1800 in England; d. 1884 in Philadelphia.
These are ancestors of our newest TSFA member Terri Seeba-Cariello.

The last mention of William's wife is in a New York Times article dated
December 8, 1854; pg 4, col. 4
DEFALCATION IN THE MARKET BANK

Yesterday morning the principal officers of the Market Bank, in
Pearl street, discovered that William P. Sackett, the receiving teller,
has proved a defaulter to the amount of $25,000. He managed this by
balancing his books fraudulently. The first information of the fraud was
obtained through the assistant receiving teller, who observed the
discrepancy in Sackett's account and last Sunday morning informed the
Secretary of the Bank. This led to an immediate investigation of the
books, which furnished sufficient grounds for Sackett's arrest. He was
taken into the custody of a Committee of the Bank on Monday last, but has
not yet been handed over to the officers of justice. The directors of
the bank are awaiting the arrival of Sackett's father, who resides on
Long Island, when an examination will take place.

Sackett has a wife and one child* and resides in Brooklyn. The bank
think they will secure a portion of the amount taken, and that their loss
will not exceed $15,000.
[*The one child would be the daughter Ada Parot Sackett (b. 1853)]

William Post Sackett was also named, with others, in two fraud cases that
were decided in favor of the plaintiffs and appealed. The appeal of one
case, Woodruff vs Wicker and William P. Sackett was heard 18 Dec 1857.
Sackett did not answer the complaint. The appeal was decided in favor of the
defendants on 20 Mar 1858.

I have tried to determine where William Post Sackett, Jr. was between his
birth about 1856 and being enumerated in Philadelphia in 1880. And what
happened to his mother, Margaret E. Garner Sackett (b Abt 1832 in NY)? Did
she die, or did she divorce William P. Sackett, sr.?

Thurmon