SAMOA-L Archives

Archiver > SAMOA > 2008-07 > 1216672601

From: Manaia Alofa <>
Subject: [Samoa] Miss Samoa 1997: Verona Lovel Tapu Ah Ching - Parker
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 13:36:41 -0700 (PDT)

Profile: Verona Lovel Parker (neé Tapu Ah Ching)

Village: Vaivase-uta

Date of Birth: 21 October, 1976

Place of Birth: Auckland, New Zealand

Parents: Father: Fonoivasa Lolesio Ah Ching

Mother: Seiafi Tai Amiatu

Year you were crowned Miss Samoa: 1996-1997

Where was it held? Maota o Tina, Sogi.

You were sponsored by? Ollie Aita- Vinesse Creations

What were some of the highlights of the evening? (Why was it so special)

“Standing in front of the audience that I knew were either rooting for me or wishing me off the stage and realizing that weeks of preparation was all for this night- a chance in a lifetime not only for me but for all the girls who were competing”.

Did you dedicate this win to someone? Who was it, and why?

“My Grandmother—‘Sapeseta Tapu’”. “ She was my inspiration to achieve the higher things in life- winning the Miss Samoa and Miss South Pacific titles were a few of those things”.

What were some of the highlights during your reign?

“The knowledge and experience that I inherited of my Samoan culture was put to the test during my reign as I travelled the world to promote and represent Samoa.

“Perhaps the most challenging and rewarding, was the opportunity to be aware of issues existing within Samoa itself and making a contribution in any way possible and being involved in committees such as:

· The National Beautification Committee(Environment)

· The Rotary Club(Social & Charity)

· Suicide Awareness

What do you do at present? (Business, studying, working etc.)

“ I am currently studying Media and Tourism at Massey University in New Zealand, managing the family business with my husband (Justin Parker) and nurturing my beautiful 8 month old daughter, Lovel Mesepa”.

How do you see the Miss Samoa Pageant benefiting young Samoan Women today?

“I see this pageant as one of the gateways available for women not just as a promoter of beautiful women, but also an acceptance by the people of women’s intelligence, confidence and ability to be the best at what they can achieve”.

What is your most valuable advice to young Samoan women in today’s changing Samoan community?

“ Our small country has come a long way in it development to be the way it is today. Some things may still be the same but a lot has changed. One thing I have noticed is that women have nothing holding them back in pursuit of their dreams, perhaps it is motherhood, a career woman in any field or maybe it’s both”.” I would advise you ladies that changes in this life does not make you but it is what you make of those changes that can affect you”.

http://www.samoalive.com/miss_97.htm

--Manaia
[SAMOA Admin]

This thread: