SAMS-L Archives

Archiver > SAMS > 2000-08 > 0966951105

Subject: SAMS (11) Database: Spotsylvania, Virginia County Records, 1721-1800
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 09:31:45 EDT

Here is the data base from Ancestry.com on the SAMS family in Spotsylvania
Co.VA.

Kay
a descendant of James SAMS and Katherine (Kathryn)( ALLYN) TOLBERT
she was a born ALLYN married first to a TOLBERT then to SAMS.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Search > Record Type > Court, Land, Probate Records > Individual Database
Search August 21, 2000
Spotsylvania, Virginia County Records, 1721-1800
Subscribers Only
(more info)

Name or Keyword: SAMS

When Spotsylvania County, Virginia was formed in 1721, it covered an area
which now includes Orange, Madison, Culpeper, and Rappahannock counties. This
collection of records contains information on wills, deeds, administrators'
and guardians' bonds, marriage licenses, and lists of revolutionary war
pensioners. Each entry reveals valuable information on persons, dates of
vital events, places of occurrence, and relationships, all extracted from the
original courthouse records.
Extended Description:

Source Information:
Crozier, William Armstrong, ed. Virginia County Records: Spotsylvania County
1721-1800. New York, NY: Fox, Duffield & Co., 1905.

Search Terms: SAMS (11)
Database: Spotsylvania, Virginia County Records, 1721-1800
Combined Matches: 11
Next Hits
Virginia County Records SPOTSYLVANIA COUNTY 1721-1800
WILLS
WILL BOOK A 1722-1749
page 1
SAMMS, JAMES, d. Feb. 22, 1725-6, p. Dec. 6, 1726. Wit. John Corbet, John
Nalle, James ——. Ex. Katherine Sams. Leg. sons William and James, my lands
to be divided between them as follows: to begin on Pike Run, at the mouth of
a spring branch near my house, and to run to a corner white oak of Wm.
Bradbourn's, and my son William to have the part lying on Mr. Daniel Brown's
land down ye Run, and my son James to have ye upper part. (Page 39)

--
Virginia County Records SPOTSYLVANIA COUNTY 1721-1800
WILLS
WILL BOOK B 1749-1759
page 10
WALLER, JOHN, Gentl. Spotsylvania Co., d. Aug. 2, 1753, p. Oct. 1, 1754. Wit.
John Scruple, Thomas Collins, Larkin Chew, Harry Beverley. Ex. wife; sons,
John, Thomas, William, and my son Benjamin Waller to be executor in trust.
Leg. son John, five hundred acres of land in the Parish of St. John, in the
Co. of King William, also 400 acres of land in Spotsylvania Co., surveyed by
Nathaniel Claybourn, Surveyor, and patented in my own name Sept. 28, 1730;
grandson, Pomfrett Waller; son, Thomas Waller, the land bought of Majr.
William Todd, in Spotsylvania Co. adjoining the lands of Zachary Lewis, Majr.
Rice Curtis, Mr. Vass, William Bradburn and Mr. Stubblefield; grandson John
Waller, son of Thomas Waller; granddaughter Dorothy Quarles, daughter of my
son Thomas Waller; son, William Waller, 400 acres patented in my name Feb.
21, 1726, now in Spotsylvania Co., formerly in King William Co. adjoining the
lands of Zachary Lewis, and after my wife's death, all that tract of land I
bought of Majr. William Todd in Spotsylvania Co., whereon I now live, and
obtained a patent for Apr. 25, 1726, also my tract of land I bought of Capt.
Philip Todd, in Spotsylvania Co., patented in my own name June 3, 1726,
adjoining the land I live on, and Mr. Coleman's and Mr. Shackleford's;
grandson, William Waller, son of William Waller; grandson, John Waller, son
of William Waller; son, Benjamin Waller; son, Edmund Waller; grandson, John
Waller, son of Edmund Waller; grandson, Benjamin, son of Edmund Waller;
grandson, William Edmund Waller, son of Edmund Waller; granddaughter, Mary
Waller daughter of Edmund Waller; daughter, Mary Waller, now the wife of
Zachary Lewis; granddaughter, Betty Lewis; granddaughter, Lucy Lewis;
granddaughter, Dorothy Lewis; grandson, Waller Lewis; great-grandson, John
Zachary Lewis; grandson, John Lewis, my secretare that I left at Mrs.
Margaret Gordon's, in the room I used to lie in when there. Unto all the rest
of my grandchildren, except my granddaughter, Mary Meriwether, and except
those above mentioned, as I have given young negroes apiece in this my will,
twenty shillings, to be paid six months after my decease. Wife, Dorothy. To
son, William Waller, and grandson, John Waller, son of Edmund Waller, all the
residue of my tract of 1,000 acres of land that I took up in my son John's
name Sept. 28, 1728, and by him conveyed to me. Codicil to the foregoing
will, dated Aug. 15, 1754, with John Minor and John Sams as witnesses,
revokes the clause devising to his son, William Waller, and his grandson,
John, son of Edmund Waller, the residue of land patented Sept. 28, 1728, in
the name of his son, John, and devises the said land to Leonard James
Mourning Waller, son of Edmund Waller. (Page 216)
--
Virginia County Records SPOTSYLVANIA COUNTY 1721-1800
DEEDS
Virginia County Records SPOTSYLVANIA COUNTY 1721-1800
DEEDS
DEED BOOK F 1761-1766
page 229
Augt. 1, 1763. Stephen Johnston of Essex Co. and Phebe, his wife, to James
Sams of Spts. Co. £150 curr. 400 a., which sd. Johnston bought of Thomas Hill
and Eleanor, his wife, as by Deeds, Septr. 1, 1762. Henry Johnston, Thos.
Bartlett, James Cunningham. Augt. 1, 1763.
--
Virginia County Records SPOTSYLVANIA COUNTY 1721-1800
DEEDS
DEED BOOK H 1771-1774
page 299
May 20, 1773. Joseph Sams, orph. of James Sams, with the consent of his
guardian, Vincent Mass, apprentices himself to Robert Stubblefield of Spts.
Co., etc. Witnesses, Rice Vass, Leonard Young. No date of Record.
--
Virginia County Records SPOTSYLVANIA COUNTY 1721-1800
DEEDS
DEED BOOK J 1774-1782
page 356
April 17, 1781. Joseph Sams of Spts.. Co. and Nanny, his wife, to Thomas
Shurley of same county. £3000. 70 a. in Spts. Co. No witnesses. May 17, 1781.
--
Virginia County Records SPOTSYLVANIA COUNTY 1721-1800
DEEDS
DEED BOOK J 1774-1782
page 367
July 15, 1782. Jno. Chew, jr., of Spots. Co. and Elizabeth, his wife, to
Robert Lewis of same Co. £1000 specie. 348 a. in Spots. Co., etc. Jos. Sams,
Leo Young, Jno. Carnochan, Geo. Stubblefield. July 18, 1782.
--
Virginia County Records SPOTSYLVANIA COUNTY 1721-1800
DEEDS
DEED BOOK J 1774-1782
page 376
April 12, 1783. Joseph Sams of Spots. Co. and Nancy, his wife, to Jno. Sams,
brother of the sd. Joseph Sams, etc. "To fulfill the desire of his father, Jam
es Sams, who died intestate," etc., plantation whereon sd. James Sams
formerly lived [in Spots. Co.], adj. lands of Jeremiah Stevens, decd., and
Henry Pendleton, etc., etc. Witnesses, Vincent Vass, W. Dawson, Anne Sams,
Mary Dawson. Oct. 16, 1783.
--
Virginia County Records SPOTSYLVANIA COUNTY 1721-1800
DEEDS
DEED BOOK J 1774-1782
page 427
Jany. 6, 1789. John Sams and Mary, his wife, of Spts. Co. to Leonard Young of
same county. £50 curr. 100 a. in Spts. Co., conveyed by Joseph Sams and wife
to sd. John Sams, etc. Witnesses, Rice Vass, Reubin Arnold, James Buchanan, Jo
seph Sams, Thomas Coleman, John Carna-han. Sept. 1, 1789.
--
Virginia County Records SPOTSYLVANIA COUNTY 1721-1800
DEEDS
DEED BOOK J 1774-1782
page 460
[p.460]Jany. 29, 1793. James Arnold and Nancy, his wife, of Spots. Co. to
Thomas Shirley of same co. £22 8s. 9d. curr. 108 a., part of a tract conveyed
by John Arnold to the sd. James in Spots. Co., etc., etc. Jno. C. Waller,
Clement Boroughes, Jas. Wiglesworth, Jas. Wiglesworth, Sr.; Jos. Sams, Philip
Young. July 2, 1793.
--
Virginia County Records SPOTSYLVANIA COUNTY 1721-1800
DEEDS
DEED BOOK O 1794-1797
page 475
Feby. 25, 1795. Richard Long and Joseph Sams, both of Spots. Co. Sd. Long
conveys to sd. Sams 5 1/2 a. in Spots. Co., etc., etc.; sd. Sams conveys to
sd. Long 15 a. in Spots. Co., etc., etc. Witnesses, Benj. Tompkins, Danl.
Lindsay, Jno. Pulliam, Jas. Wray. April 7, 1795.

This thread: