SC-DISSENTERS-L Archives

Archiver > SC-DISSENTERS > 2001-08 > 0997617082

From: Blanchard Smith <>
Subject: [SC-DISSENTERS] Hamilton Line
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 07:51:24 -0400

Dear Christie,

About the Hamilton family, the book by Joseph LaRoche Rivers, "Seven South
Carolina Low Country Families" has part of a page on Hamiltons in the Grimball
family genealogy.. He says that:
1. Paul Hamilton I, a carpenter, came from Scotland and settled on Edisto Island.
The name of his wife is not known but he appears to have had two children, Paul
and John.
1.1 John Hamilton (b ca 1707) came with Lord Carcross who tried to establish a
colony of Scots near Port Royal. He was Deputy Secretary of the Province in 1693.
He married (ca 1687) Mary Grimball (b ca 1670) and had 3 children, Mary, Paul,
and Ann.
1.1.1 Mary Hamilton (b ca 1688) m(1) John Wilkins and had 9 Wilkins children, and
m(2) Archibald Neal
1.1.2 Paul Hamilton (b <1695 d ca 1739) m Martha Bower
1.1.3 Ann Hamilton (d 1754) m(1) David Loughton, m(2) George Barnet, m(3) David
Hext.

The 1910 Vol. XI, No. 4 index of the SCH&G magazine lists 6 Hamiltons in the
early March issue: Major James, John, Joseph, Margaret, Mrs. Mary, and Paul. I
suggest you try to get this issue (I do not have it.). The No. 4 October issue
says Robert Hamilton, Jr. of Kingstree married Ann Cantey (dau of Samuel Cantey).
The 1928 (Vol. XXIX) No.3 issue has marriage notices from the 1806 Charleston
Courier, one of which says "Miss Mary Hamilton, daughter of his Excellency the
Governor, married (Jan 1806) Dr. Nathan H. Rhodes"
This Governor James Hamilton, Jr. is covered in a SC website. Click on
http://www.sciway.net/hist/governors/jhamilton.html

Blanchard Smith, 75, Alexandria, VA

wrote:

> I am researching the HAMILTON line that came to Port Royal South Carolina in
> 1684 on the Carolina Merchant. That would be John Hamilton. The family
> settled in the Edisto Island and Charleston area, my branch splitting off in
> 1839 and going to ALabama, then on to Arkansas.

This thread: