SC-Genealogy-L Archives

Archiver > SC-Genealogy > 1999-10 > 0939661055

From: <>
Subject: [SC] 1800s Technical or Training Schools?
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 12:57:35 EDT

Hello to all,
Just found out that my g-g-grandfather, Judson Adoniram McDaniel, migrated
with his family from somewhere in SC to AL, probably in his late teens. This
took place around the time of the Civil War, either shortly before or shortly
after. According to his son, Judson received training as a master carpenter
in SC before the migration, in some sort of technical, training or carpenter
school. According to oral history it was definitely a school and not just an
apprenticeship to a carpenter. He did ornate work on the buildings he later
built in south AL. Can anyone direct me to a site where I might find more
info on training schools that might have been in existence in SC around the
mid-1800s, or give me more info on this? Are there any books that might
contain this info? I have no idea where in SC they originated. If anyone can
give me more info on this I would be most appreciative. Thanks in advance!!!

Sherry McDaniel Bowers
Alabama

This thread: