SC-Genealogy-L Archives

Archiver > SC-Genealogy > 2004-06 > 1088488214

From: "Audrey Pool" <>
Subject: Re: SCURRY-MITCHELL-SEARCY-HOLLOWAY-FARRAR
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 22:50:14 -0700

This began as a SCURRY will from Granville, NC, but following through on names of association I found some records I have a few questions on. Audrey

Source: Original Wills of Granville County, NC by Timothy W. Rackley

"323. Gidren (Gideon?) SCURRY, 30 April 1775

'Being very sick in body'. Lend to my dearly beloved wife Catron SCURRY during her life the holl (?) of my Estate of all sorts, lands, stock, household furniture. After her decease to my son Thomas SCURRY a small (torn section). My daughter Mary (torn section, recorded copy has 'Wrters'?) shilling Sterling. To my daughter Elisabeth (torn section, recorded copy has 'Norman') shilling. To my daughter Sarah HEATH one shilling Sterling. After these legacies discharged & paid, the remainder of my Estate to my son Jessey SCURRY land, stock, household furniture (except my wife make use of in her life and what my wife is please(d) to give to my son Thomas SCURRY). My dearly beloved wife Catron SCURRY Executor.

Wit: Henry GRAVES, *Jacob MITCHELL, John SMITH. November Court (torn section, but recorded copy on page 124 & 125 of Will Book 1 has '`1775') proved by oath of Henry GRAVES & John SMITH. Catherine SCURRY qualified as Executrix."

SC Wills Index:

SCURRY, Jesse Bk 2 Pg 57 SMT

SCURRY, Thomas, Jr Bk 1 Pg 229D EDG

SCURRY, Thomas, Sr Bk 1 Pg 54D EDG

SCURRY, William Bk 1 Pg 135C EDG

Note: Have I worked on this name before? (aep)

*Note Jacob MITCHELL in the following will from Lunenburg Co, VA. Even though Jacob is in Granville, NC there is no will with him as a son, or a will for him. This is the MITCHELL family I believe connects to our families that went to SC. (aep)

"MITCHELL, John Will Book 1, Page 140 Lunenburg Co, VA

Names: Wife - not named in will and evidently deceased.

Son - James MITCHELL one pair spoon moulds.

Daughter - Daughter Catherine MITCHELL, wife of Robert MITCHELL, slave and personal property but to go to her son John MITCHELL at age 21.

Daughter - Mary YARBROUGH.

Son in law - *Jacob MITCHELL Negro and carpenters tools.

Son - Isaac MITCHELL shoemakers and cooper's tools.

Housekeeper - Elizabeth SAWYER furniture and stock, other personal property.

Executors: Jacob MITCHELL and Isaac MITCHELL

Witnesses: Reuben SEARCY, Frances (FJ) JAMES, Ann JAMES

/s/ John MITCHELL. Will dated 29 Dec 1753 Recorded 2 Feb 1755."

Note: I was thinking Jacob was the s/o John MITCHELL, but says son in law.

"SAWYERS, Elizabeth Will Book 1, Page 176

Appraisal of the estate of Elizabeth SAWERS (sic), deceased, made by Jacob MITCHELL, George FARRAR* and Isaac MITCHELL - value 12 pounds 16 shillings 11 ½ pence - returned to Court by Thos. STEVENS. Recorded 1 March 1757."

"FARRAR, George Deed Book 6, Page 34 (Mecklenburg Co, VA)

George FARRAR to George JEFFERSON.cons. 25 pounds.385 acres on Roanoke River.adjoining DELONY. Witnesses: William HOLLOWAY, Bennett HOLLOWAY /d/ George FARRAR."

Note: Isn't there a FARRAR/HOLLOWAY marriage? (aep)

Note: Who was Elizabeth SAWYERS in respect to the MITCHELL family? A friend? (aep)

Source: Early Settlers of Mecklenburg County, VA

"MITCHELL, Jacob Deed Book 4, Page 22

Jacob MITCHELL, Planter, to Isaac MITCHELL.cons. 10 pounds.77 acres on Buffalo Creek.

Witnesses: Reuben SEARCY, Michael SATTERWHITE, Thos. EASTLAND. /s/ Jacob MITCHELL Dated 7 Jan 1755

Recorded 7 Jan 1755."

Tithe List, 1748

MITCHELL, Daniel 1

" , Henry 2

" , Isaac 1

" , Jacob 1

Note: Was Jacob MITCHELL the s/o Daniel MITCHELL? (aep)

Tithe List, 1752

MITCHELL, Isaac

MITCHELL, Jacob, Sr

MITCHELL, Jacob, Jr

MITCHELL, James

James MITCHELL, Jr

John MITCHELL

David MITCHELL

Notes:

1. I've worked on these MITCHELLS before, but didn't remember seeing Jacob MITCHELL on the SCURRY will.

2. Reuben SEARCY signs the will of Robert MITCHELL's will in Granville Co, NC, 1751. Robert's wife was Catherine MITCHELL, d/o John MITCHELL of Lunenburg Co, VA. See will above.

This thread: