SCAIKEN-L Archives

Archiver > SCAIKEN > 2008-04 > 1208406720

From: <>
Subject: Re: [SCAIKEN] Alice Helen Glover Obit 1937
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 00:32:00 -0400

Hi Sue and Margie,

This is some information that I have established on my family in the
Glover - Turner Cemetery, Gloverville, SC. This will answer some of your
questions. If not let me know because I may have overlooked something.
Thanks,
Darlene

Jethro Glover born April 1788 and died February 1833. Native of
Edgefield, South Carolina he is the son of Andrew Glover and Dicy
Rountree. Andrew and Dicy are buried in the Kimbell Cemetery in
Johnstown, SC.

Mary Parker Glover, wife of Jethro Glover, born March 1790 and died May
1853.

John J. Glover son of Jethro and Mary Parker Glover, born July 1821 and
died December 1870.

William Glover died July 17, 1899 at the age of 73.

Martha Ann Green Glover, wife of William Glover born December 1834 and
died on December 1891.

Baby Henry Wilbur Richardson born dead at birth. Son of Wilbur Bill
Richardson and Marie Salley Turner Richardson. No tombstone only buried
bricks outlining his grave. Wilbur Bill Richardson, father of the baby
is buried in the Town Creek cemetery with his parents.

Little Lilla born September 22, 1861 and died on January 15, 1863. NOTE
NOT SURE WHO THIS CHILD BELONGS TOO. STORY WAS TOLD THAT THIS WAS A
CHILD OF WILLIAM GLOVER AND MARTHA ANN GREEN GLOVER.

Little Willie born February 21, 1886 and died on July 17, 1887. NOTED IN
THE GLOVER CEMETERY NOTES STATED FROM ALICE HELEN GLOVER THAT THIS WAS A
CHILD OF HER AND JOHN HENRY TURNER BUT THE FAMILY THAT IS LIVING DOES
NOT KNOW OF A CHILD BORN TO ALICE AND JOHN HENRY TURNER.

Joseph Eve Murray born on May 6, 1845 and died on May 26, 1920. U C V
CO A 7th South Carolina Calvary. Erected by Barnard E. Bee and Friends.

Richard Hankinson, Jr. born July 11, 1818 and died on October 1852.

Caroline Glover Hankinson born April 8, 1820 and died on June 29, 1891.
Caroline is the wife of Richard Hankinson, Jr. Children of Richard Jr.
and Caroline Hankinson:

Mrs. M. J. Celeste Turner (Mary Jane Celeste Hankinson) wife of W. C.
Turner (William Councile Turner) and the only daughter of Richard Jr.
and Caroline Glover Hankinson.

Heyward Hankinson born 1841 and died 1902. Son of Richard Jr. and
Caroline Glover Hankinson.

Sarah F. Hankinson born February 12, 1836 and died on August 21, 1898.
Wife of Heyward Hankinson. Her tombstone reads: Her pains are over, her
sorrow has past, life armor laid aside, she reaps the great reward at
last in Heaven to abide.

James H. Hankinson born September 19, 1880 and died on January 10, 194.

James H. Murray born on August 16, 1810 and died on March 31, 1886.

Martha Glover Murray, wife of James H. Murray born on February 26, 1823
and died on September 30, 1880.

Mary Alice Murray Howard born on August 24, 1849 and died on April 17,
1909. She is the wife of Mike Howard. Daughter of James H. Murray and
Martha Glover Murray.

John Henry Turner, died April 10, 1898 at the age of of 29 years old.
First husband of Alice Helen Glover. Died while working on the railroad
along Pleasure Island located in Gloverville, SC of Pnemonia. John and
Alice had one son together, Benjamin Glover Turner. Not sure of the Baby
Willie Turner that is buried in the Glover Cemetery.

Alice Helen Glover McDonald born March 12, 1864 and died on October 5,
1937 at the age of 73. First husband John Henry Turner, second husband
Riley L. Johnson. Shortly after Alice married Mr. Johnson she became ill
and later the family discovered that Alice's second husband Riley was
poisoning her and her son Ben killed Mr. Riley, July 1907 with an ax.
Riley L. Johnson is the son of David Luscious Johnson and Mary Ellen
McCarthy. Siblings of Riley L. Johnson are: David, Ellen, and Emma
Johnson. Riley is buried in a cemetery with his parents in Aiken, SC.
Alice recovered and married John William "Ezra" McDonald. The resided on
Hwy 421 across from the Glover Turner Cemetery until her death. Before
her death she erected the gate entrance way in honor of her name in the
Glover Cemetery. After Alice passed away John William Ezra McDonald
married Mary "Dallie" Talbert. Both are buried in the Langley,
Cemetery. John William Ezra McDoniel first wife was Annie Laura
Kirkland. Alice was his second wife.

Obituary of Mary Dallie Talbert, Ezra McDoniels wife:

McDoniel, Mary Talbert, age 81, Hwy 421, died in a Richmond County
hospital, 6-23-1983. Burial in Langley Cemetery. A native of Edgefield
County, a homemaker and a member of First Baptist Church, Gloverville.
Survivors: son, James E. Henson, Gloverville; sister, Louise
Burckhalter, Graniteville, SC. Posey Funeral home in charge. Note: Mary
Talbert McDoniel was born 8-23-1900.

John Henry Turner, son of Benjamin Glover Turner and Corrie Ella Bandy,
born 10-5-1914 and died from a self inflicted gun shot to the head on
8-22-1988. He was very sick toward the end of his life. He was the
husband of Annie Laura Glover Turner. John and Annie are buried in the
Glover Cemetery and Annie is the daughter of Alton Glover and Carrie
Pryor Glover. She died on 7-23-1990. Annie had a son by her first
husband Norris. Annie and John never had children together.

Benjamin Glover Turner, son of John Henry and Alice Helen Glover Turner,
born July 26, 1889 and died February 22, 1951. Ben married Corrie Ella
Bandy. Out of the many children that was born between them only four
lived. Ben was a farmer and farmed a lot of the Glover land. He also
worked with the Throughbred horses as a caretaker in Aiken, SC.

Corrie Ella Bandy Turner, wife of Benjamin Glover Turner, born August
15, 1885 and died on June 12, 1975. Daughter of Ella Sophonia Franklin
Bandy born July 1, 1867 and John Fulton Bandy born May 29, 1865. John
and Ella resided on Easy Street in Johnstown, SC at the time of their
death. YOU CAN VIEW THE HISTORY AND PHOTOS ON CORRIE ELLA BANDY AND HER
FAMILY AT
http://www.usgennet.org/usa/ga/county/butts/JohnFultonBandyFamily.htm

Helen Alice Turner, born on August 14, 1916 and died on December 15,
1943. Daughter of Benjamin Glover and Corrie Ella Bandy Turner. She
married John Eugene Murphy. John died on July 29, 1999. He died at a
nursing home in Milledgeville, Ga from alztimers. Helen and John lived
on Hwy 421 in Warrenville, South Carolina. Helen died giving birth to
her last daughter Helen Alice. Children of Helen and John: Jeanette
Ella Murphy, Lynette Julia Murphy, Mavis Helen Murphy and Helen Alice
Murphy.

Marie Salley Turner died 4-1-1987. She is the daughter of Benjamin
Glover Turner and Corrie Bandy Turner. Marie married Gigar Addie and
later Wilbur Bill Richardson. Marie and Wilbur had one son that was born
dead at birth who is also buried in the Glover cemetery named Wilbur
Henry Richardson.

James W. Turner 1845 - 1875. LT. COB 19th Regmt., (VOL) S.C. Infantry.
Father of Lulu Woody and William H. Turner. William H. Turner was the
first postmaster in Turner, South Carolina that was first established by
the Turner family in 1888-1909 now Jackson, SC. William H. Turner
married Maude Dowling Turner.
Mother of these children with James W. Turner was Mary Jane Celeste
Turner (Mary Jane Celeste Hankinson). After James died Mary Jane Celeste
Turner married James cousin, Rev. W. C. Turner (William Councile Turner)
on November 27, 1878. They had five children. Mary Jane was the only
daughter of Richard Jr. and Caroline Glover Hankinson whom are buried in
the Glover cemetery. William Councile Turner is buried in the Turner
Cemetery, on the Turner Mulberry Acres Plantation, Jackson, SC - Old
Sleepy Hollow Community.

THERE ARE A FEW UNMARKED GRAVES THAT ARE NOT LISTED FROM THE GLOVER
CEMETERY. ONE IS OF JULIE REDD WHOM I DO NOT KNOW HOW SHE FITS IN THE
FAMILY. STORY FROM THE FAMILY THAT SHE WAS A GOOD FRIEND OF THE GLOVER
FAMILY. ANOTHER UNMARKED GRAVE IS OF SAMUEL GLOVER.

BELOW IS INFORMATION ON THE TURNER FAMILY CEMETERY IN JACKSON, SOUTH
CAROLINA, THE CEMETERY THAT WILLIAM COUNCILE TURNER IS BURIED IN WITH
HIS CHILDREN AND FAMILY ON MULBURRY ACRES PLANTATION.

TURNER CEMETERY LOCATED IN JACKSON, SOUTH CAROLINA ON MCELMURRAY ROAD.
THE CEMETERY SITS IN THE MIDDLE OF A LARGE FIELD SURROUNDED BY LARGE OLD
TREES. BELOW ARE SOME OF THE NAMES IN THIS CEMETERY.

NOTE: Turner family received numerous land grants from the British crown
and their wealth was from England. The Turners were Tories and did not
volunteer for service in the Revolutionary War.

William Councile Turner 4-20-1842 - 7-4-1911 husband of Mary Jane
Celestia Hankinson.

Eva Stella Turner, Wife of John I. Cullum 6-26-1887 - 5-31-1925;
youngest daughter of William Councile Turner.

Dan H. Turner 5-17-1885 - 6-27-1952; son of William Councile Turner.

Florence L. Turner 10-16-1881 - 11-25-1943; daughter of William Councile
Turner.

Stuart W. Turner 1-25-1880 - 8-23-1968; son of William Councile Turner.

James F. Boykin 5-12-1907 - age 74 years.

Carrie Mae Turner Harley 1883 - 1971; daughter of William Council
Turner.

Emmie beloved wife of A. M. Moyer 3-8-1877 - 7-10-1918

Annie Jessie Turner daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W. C. Turner age 1 month.

Charley Turner 6-10-1864 - 4-23-1868

T. C. Turner 10-29-1851 - died 1899 age 49.

J. W. Jackson son of J & M Jackson 3-25-1840 - 1-20-1882

Georgia L. Boykin 8-10-1849 - 12-28-1929

Joseph A. Turner age 4 years. No dates.

Infant son of Mr. A. B. & Mrs. M. A. Turner. No dates.

In remembrance of our soldier brother who gave his life in defense for
his country J. G. Turner 10-17-1839 - 6-26-1862.

J. M. Turner 9-3-1847 - 4-27-1889

Mary A. Turner born 1813 - 6-26-1890

Husband to Mary A. Turner A. B. Turner 2-11-1807 - 9-3-1880.