SCAIKEN-L Archives

Archiver > SCAIKEN > 2010-03 > 1268783667

From: ,
Subject: [SCAIKEN] William R. Turner--Oct 24, 1857-May 7, 1926 Langley,Aiken Co. SC
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 23:54:27 -0000

Author: Gail_Blancett
Surnames:
Classification: queries

Message Board URL:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/localities.northam.usa.states.southcarolina.counties.aiken/1072/mb.ashx

Message Board Post:

Death Certificate
SC 1926-7779
William R. Turner
Died: May 7, 1926
Place of Death: Langley, Aiken Co., SC
Male White Married
Birthdate: Oct 24, 1857
Occupation: Merchant
Birth place: Aiken Co. SC [sic but Aiken Co. not formed until 1871]
Father: Bryant Turner
Mother: Mary Turner
Burial or place of removal: Oak Wood, SC
Informant: James B. Turner

Tombstone inscription in Darien Baptist Church Cemetery (which is located not far from Oak Wood, SC in Aiken Co. SC):

In Memory of our Father
W. R. Turner
Oct 24, 1857 - May 7, 1926

I believe that William R. Turner (middle name not known) was married three times.

(1) Emma Cushman who died between 1900 and 1910. On the 1900 Census they list they had been married for 19 years. The maiden name of this first wife is based on the death certificate for their daughter Lillie Turner Cushman (May 30, 1882-Jun 25, 1921) which gives her parents names as W. R. Turner and Emma Cushman and the obituary for son William Richard Turner (Oct 5, 1895 - May 30, 1967) which states he was the son of William R. Turner and Emma Cushman.

(2) Kate E. Haws/Hawes whom he married about 1905 as they state on the 1910 Census that they had been married twice and this marriage was for 5 years. The youngest three children living with William R. Turner and wife Emma (Cushman) in 1900 were the same three Turner children living with Wm. R. Turner and second wife Kate on the 1910 Census. A young niece Nellie Hawes was living with them.

The death certificate for Katie E. Turner who died July 19, 1921 lists her birth date as Nov. 6, 1866 and lists her parents as Joe Haws and mother Susen [sic] Perkins. She was listed as married. Both parents were listed as born in Burke Co. GA. Abe Haws of Langley was the informant on the death certificate.

What is particularly confusing on this is that there is a tombstone in the Darien Baptist Church Cemetery where the senior William R. Turner (1857-1926) is buried with the following inscription "Emma K. wife of W. R. Turner born Nov 6, 1866 died July 19, 1921" and the person posting the information to Find-A-Grave indicates that this is Emma Cushman. The death certificate for the person with these dates of birth and death is however Katie E. Haws/Hawes who is clearly a second wife and not Emma Cushman.

I believe that William R. Turner (1857-1926) had yet a third marriage.

(3) Katie Jane Penwell -- William R. Turner Sr. (1857-1926) marries yet a third time after 1921 as on his death certificate he is listed as married. I believe that his third wife was the widow of John Thomas Wingard who died in 1919. Katie Jane Penwell Wingard Turner was born Aug 18, 1879 and died Jan 9, 1942 in Langley, Aiken Co. SC. Although she was listed as a widow on the death certificate, her spouse's name was listed as William R. Turner. Her parents were listed as John A. Penwell and mother as Laura Greene. The informant on her death certificate was J. E. Wingard.

On the 1900 Census, Katie is the wife of John Wingard who is about 30 years older than she is and they have been married 3 years and have one child, Ola Wingard born Aug 1898. I haven't been able to find them in 1910 but we know John Wingard died in 1919 and Katie signed the death certificate.

In 1920, Katie Wingard is a widow with 3 living Wingard children and a son-in-law Jim Cowan and grandchild. Her daughter Ola who had married Jim Cowan had died on Dec 14, 1918 and her parents names were listed as J. T. Wingard and Kate Penwell.

In 1930, Katie J. Turner is now again a widow and living with her is her son James Wingard and his new wife Pearl.

Katie Wingard Turner is buried in the Langley Cemetery and the tombstone says:

Katie Wingard Turner
Aug 18, 1879
Jan 9, 1942

Who were the parents for this William R. Turner who are listed as Bryant Turner and Mary Turner? Could Bryant Turner be a James Bryant Turner?

>From the census records and other circumstantial evidence, it appears that William R. Turner and Emma Cushman Turner had a son James Bryant Turner. James B. Turner of Branchville was the informant on the death certificate for William R. Turner when he died in 1926. Would this "son" know that he had been named for his grandfather?

Can anyone help on identifying the parents of this William R. Turner 1857-1926?

Important Note: