SCEDGEFI-L Archives

Archiver > SCEDGEFI > 2001-11 > 1006188281

From: "Lee and Billie Jones" <>
Subject: Reuben Holloway , d. ca October 1806. p. 1827.
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 11:44:41 -0500

Today I am posting several Holloway wills. The Holloway family is one
confusing family with so many generations with the same names being
repeated. I have worked on this line with several other folks for several
years, often becoming more confused than ever, and putting it on the shelf
for a while.

At first I thought that Reuben's son Jordan was the Jordan father of my
proven ancestor Elijah Holloway. Contact with other Holloway researchers
proved me wrong on this. I connect to Jesse Holloways son Jordan Meekins.
However, further research found that I connect to Reuben thru his daughter
Keziah Holloway Mitchell who married John Mitchell (His will posted
earlier). Hers will be posted with this bunch of Holloway wills.
_______

"Wills and Deeds of Edgefield Co, SC" compiled by Mrs. Martha Bray Carson,
Genealogist for SC DAR, Chester, SC 1942
Records copied by Sallie Strother Hollingsworth for Old 96th District
Chapter , Edgefield Co., SC DAR, located in SC DAR library in Camden
Archives, Camden SC - Abstract of Reuben's estate: (spelled Rubin in the
files) recorded in in the OED office 4 June 1827

Box 15 - Pk 524 William Holloway, Administrator
Book F, pp 70-71 John Simkins, C.E.D.
Apprs: Jeremiah Cook, Mm. Coats, Shirly Whatley, John Glozer 14 May 1827
Jordan Holloway, J.P.
Bond: Wm. Holloway, Richard Berry, and Thomas Youngblood, 7 May 1827.
Citation published at Sleepy Creek Church by John B. Chappell, April 1827.

Reuben Holloway Probate- Edgefield SC Box 15, pkg 524- (1827) William
Holloway, Admin.
Reuben's estate sale May 1827; William and John Holloway purchased, Jordan
Holloway signed bond (Who is John) Death of Pheniah probably caused
settlement of his estate. [Billie Jones has a copy of this will - but I
can't find it- it did not give much info - The Bond and Agreement below gave
the information on this family.]

Proof of issue: legatees listed below:

The following is a transcription by Drew Welsh of the BOND and AGREEMENT
between Penniah Holloway and JESSE HOLLOWAY, Edgefield Co Deed Book 27, p.
293 It is posted on http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/sc/sca_edge.html

It is this Bond that gives us the legatees of Reuben Holloway.

Edgefield Co. SC Deed Book 27, pgs. 293-296 PENINAH HOLLOWAY AND THE
LEGATEES, Edgefield County State of South Carolina
Bond and Agreement, These articles of agreement entered into this 6th
day of October in the year of our Lord Eighteen Hundred and Six between
Peninah Holloway wife of Reubin Holloway late of the county above mentioned
and the heirs of the said Holloway witnesseth that whereas the said
Reubin Holloway departed this life intestate leaving no lawfull will
and we all desireous to settle and divide the estate of the deceased with as
little trouble and expense as possible do enter into this agreement, viz,
the said
Peninah Holloway agrees to take for her part of said estate the use of
one third of the land and plantation she now lives on with the lent of a
negro woman named Hannah during her natural life and after her death they
are to return to the heirs to be divided between them with also an equal
childs part of all the personal estate of the dec'd that was on the
plantation at his death to be at her disposal and the legatees or heirs
agrees amongst themselves to give in on oath if required all the property
they have received from their father in his lifetime to the best of their
remembrance down as low as the price of a horse to be added into the estate
and taken out of their part when divided.
They also pitition and appoint Wm. and Jordan Holloway to sell settle
and divide the estate in the same manner as though they were lawfully
qualified to do the same and each of our heirs to stand to and abide by the
terms of the above agreement as punctual and to be as binding as though
there was separate bonds taken from each person under the penalty of ten
thousand dollars.
In witness whereof we have each of us set our hands and seals this day
and date first written, signed, sealed and acknowledge in presence of
Peninah (x) Holloway, Milah Holloway, William Holloway, Caleb Holloway,
Peter Holloway, John Mitchell, Jordan Holloway, Francis (x) Runnals, William
Morris, Edward Holloway, Joseph Morris. Test. Jesse Holloway, Elijah Smith

***
Before me personally appeared Jesse Holloway and made oath on the Holy
Evangilist of Almighty God that was present and saw the within named Peninah
Holloway, Milah Holloway, William Holloway, Caleb Holloway, Peter Holloway,
John Mitchell, Jordan Holloway, Frances (x) Reynolds, William Morris, Edward
Holloway, Joseph Morris sign and acknowledge the within instrument of
writting and saw Elijah Smith sign with himself as witness thereunto. Jesse
Holloway
Sworn before me 24th of November 1806 John Blocker J.P. Record 24th
Nov.1806

Edgefield County Deed Book 27, p. 296
Peninah and Jesse Holloway to the Legatees of Reubin Holloway Bond
Know all men by these presents that we Jesse Holloway and Peninah Holloway
of Edgefield District State of South Carolina are held and firmly bound unto
the legatees of Reuben Holloway decd. late of the county and state aforesaid
in the just and full sum of one thousand dollars, for which payment well and
truly to be made we bind ourselves, our heirs, executors or administrators
jointly and severally firmly this 13th day of November 1806. The condition
of the above obligation is such that if the above bound Peninah Holloway do
and shall comply with the agreement entered into on 6 October last the above
obligation to be void.
Witnessed: Daniel Bird, signed: Peninah (x) Holloway , Jesse Holloway
William Glen
Proven 24 November 1806 by William Glen; John Blocker J.P. Rec. 24 Nov. 1806
and signed and acknowledged
______

Because of the wording of the bond and agreement (Deed Bk.27 above) it
appears that Peniah Holloway was not the first wife of Reuben. She may have
been a near relative/daughter of Jesse Holloway (died 1818) since he was
surety for the bond she had to sign to the legatees of Reuben. In a letter
dated 2/2/1984 from James H. Hines of Houston TX to Marie Olson of
Charleston, SC Mr. Hines states that he had found some information that
Reuben had married a Katherine Jordan and that is where the Jordan came
from. So is Penniah the same wife, or is she 2nd wife.
_____

Can anyone supply names of the missiing children whose husbands received
their share.

Speculated family of Reuben Holloway:

Descendants of Reuben Holloway

1 Reuben HOLLOWAY b: Abt. 1750 in probably in VA. d: Bef. October 1806
in Edgefield Co., SC Burial: Holloway Cem., Greenwood, SC
.. +Peinnah [JORDAN] b: 1755 in VA. m: 1774 d: 1814
.... 2 daughter HOLLOWAY
........ +Francis RUNNALS/REYNOLDS
.... 2 daughter HOLLOWAY
........ +William MORRIS
.... 2 possible daughter HOLLOWAY
........ +RILEY?
.... 2 possible Joseph HOLLOWAY
.... 2 William HOLLOWAY b: Abt. 1765 in probably VA d: July 22, 1838
........ +MARGARET
.... 2 Caleb HOLLOWAY b: 1767 d: August 20, 1840
........ +ELIZABETH
.... 2 Peter HOLLOWAY b: Abt. 1769 in probably in VA. d: 1844 in Upson
Co, Ga
........ +Frances [GIBSON] b: Abt. 1770 in Edgefield Dist., SC d: 1844 in
Upson Co., Ga.
.... 2 Keziah HOLLOWAY b: 1772 d: January 28, 1848 in Edgefield Co., SC
........ +John/Simon MITCHELL b: Abt. 1770 d: Abt. September 1823 in
Edgefield Co, SC Father: Early Mitchell Research
.... 2 Milah HOLLOWAY b: Abt. 1774
.... 2 Jordan HOLLOWAY b: February 22, 1775 in VA. d: February 22, 1862
in Edgefield Co, SC
........ +Mary REARDON b: December 16, 1777 in SC m: December 24, 1799 in
South Carolina d: June 07, 1864 in Edgefield Co., SC
.... 2 Edward HOLLOWAY b: 1778 in Edgefield Co., SC d: August 26, 1850 in
Upson Co., Ga.
........ +UNKNOWN m: Aft. 1818
.... *2nd Wife of Edward HOLLOWAY:
........ +NANCY b: in Ga. m: April 16, 1818 d: May 05, 1866

Notes and sources available upon request: as gedcom or Desc. report.
Seeking more proven information from others on these folks.

Billie Jones
Camden, SC

This thread: