SCEDGEFI-L Archives

Archiver > SCEDGEFI > 2006-09 > 1157312658

From: "Lee and Billie Jones" <>
Subject: Re: to Maryloo regarding Mary Watson
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2006 15:44:18 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "maryloo" <>
To: <>
Sent: Saturday, September 02, 2006 3:20 PM
Subject: [SCEDGEFI] Mary Watson

>I am trying to research a Mary Watson married to Willis Odom in the early
>1800's. Could any one share any information they might have?

Maryloo,

I have a Mary Watson md. to an Odum but do not have his first name.
Possibly the one you are lookiing for?? I have not worked on Mary's Odum
family, and added the info. to my files when working with someone on the
Satchers. Here is an outline of what I have on Mary's family:

Descendants of John Elijah Watson
1 John Elijah WATSON b: Bef. 1725 d: 1791 in Edgefield Dist, SC
.. +ANN
..... 2 Arthur WATSON b: 1745 d: 1806
......... +Ann CORLEY d: Bef. 1806 Father: [Abner CORLEY]
............ 3 Richmond WATSON b: Aft. 1765 d: 1823
................ +Anne CORLEY
............ 3 Hezekiah WATSON b: Aft. 1765
............ 3 Abner WATSON b: Aft. 1765
............ 3 Fannie WATSON b: Aft. 1765 d: 1815
................ +Samuel SATCHER b: Bet. 1740 - 1747 d: 1814 Father: [Robert
SATCHER]
............ 3 Patience WATSON b: Aft. 1765
................ +John EIDSON
............ 3 Lydia WATSON b: Aft. 1765
................ +John WARREN m: Bet. Jul 1796 - 1802 in Edgefield Dist, SC
............ 3 Arthur Rice WATSON b: Aft. 1765
............ 3 Absalom WATSON b: Aft. 1765
..... 2 Jacob WATSON
..... 2 William WATSON
..... 2 Charity WATSON
......... +ANDERSON
..... 2 Ceale WATSON
..... 2 Martha WATSON
......... +ODOM
..... 2 Lucretia WATSON
......... +JONES
..... 2 Willis Murphey WATSON
**. 2 Mary WATSON
......... +ODOM
..... 2 John WATSON

NOTES: John Elijah Watson: The Watson Family of Edgefield District, South
Carolina [did not add source]

I. John Elijah Watson (7 Jul 1718 - 17 Aug 1791) born in England or Wales,
died in Edgefield District, SC mar. (20 Jul 1740 in Isle of Wight Co., VA)
Ann Murphy (1722 - 1795) born in England, died in Edgefield District, SC
Children of John E. & Ann Watson:
John Watson II (b. 1741)
Willis Murphy Watson (4 Apr 1743 - 5 Jan 1811) mar. Elizabeth Cline
Middleton
Arthur Watson (1745 - 1806) mar. Ann Corley
Jacob Watson I (1747? - aft. 1811) born in Edgefield District, SC, died
in TN
William Arthur Watson (b. 1749)
Charity Anderson Watson (1751 - 1782) wife of John Anderson
Ceale Watson
Martha Watson (1753 - 1817) married 1st Michael Watson reportedly her
first cousin - son of William Watson reportedly brother of John Watson.
Martha married 2nd Jacob Odom.
Lucretia Watson (b. 1755) mar. ? Jones
Mary Watson mar. William Odom

*WILL OF JOHN WATSON: Recorded in Will Book "A" Page 29 & 30. Recorded
September Term 1791.
From: EDGEFIELD COUNTY SOUTH CAROLINA: Old Wills 1785-1818 Vol. II By
Frances Terry Ingmire
[posted to the SC Edgefield list by Horace D. Hatcher.
State of South Carolina, Edgefield County, In the name of God, Amen.
This forth day April in the year of our Lord, one thousand seven
hundred and eighty eight and in the twelfth year of the Independence of the
United States of America, I John Watson of the state and county fore said,
planter, being weak in body, but of perfect mind and memory, thanks be to
God, and calling to mind the mortality of my body and knowing it is
appointed for all men to die, I do make this my Last Will and Testament,
that is to say principally and first of all I recommend my soul into the
hands of the almighty God that first gave it life, and my body to be buried
in a Christian like manner, at the discretion of my executors, here after
mentioned. Nothing doubting, but at the general resurrection, I shall
receive the same by the mighty power of God. And as to settling my worldly
estate, wherewith it hath pleased God to bless me with in this life. I give
and dispose of the same in the manner and form following, that is to say, I
do ordain that first of all that all my just debts and funeral charges be
paid.
Item Then I give and bequeath unto my sons and daughters Arthur Watson,
Jacob Watson, William Watson, Charity Anderson, [Ceale] Watson, Martha Odom
& [Incresis] Jones, they and their heirs the just and full sum of one
shilling sterling money-To each of them or their heirs to be divided and
paid if demanded out of my estate and no more, they have already received
each of their portions -
Item I give and bequeath to my son John Watson two hundred and twenty
eight acres of land lying on a branch of Edisto River Cold Mctears Track one
hundred [acres] being purchased of the estate of Capt. Michael Watson,
deceased, the other one hundred and twenty eight acres being part of a tract
containing two hundred and twenty eight acres where said John Watson Junior
now lives to him and his heirs, and in like manner, I give said John Watson,
four hundred and fifty eight acres lying and being on a branch of Clouds
Creek Cold Moses Creek-
Item I give and bequeath to my son Willis Murphey Watson my plantation
of two hundred acres of land where on I now live, also thirty five acres of
land joining said plantation, which was purchased of Arthur Watson. In like
manner, I give to said Willis Murphey Watson three hundred acres of land
lying on the wagon road that leads from the Congaree to Augusta joining
lands held by the widow Quiney, being part of a tract containing four
hundred and fifty two acres. I also give to said John Watson, one negro man
named Joe to him and his heirs for ever.
Item I give and bequeath to my daughter Mary Odom one hundred acres of
land lying on the above mentioned Moses Creek being the lower end of a tract
containing two hundred and seventy eight acres of land, also two cows and
calves, to her and her heirs and no more.
Item I give and bequeath to my wife Ann Watson one hundred and fifty two
acres of land lying on the head branches of Beach Creek, being part of a
tract containing four hundred and fifty two acres to her and her heirs for
ever and no more.
Item I give and bequeath to my two sons John Watson and Willis Murphy
Watson all the remainder of my stock and moveable property to be equally
divided between them two, the said John Watson and him the said Willis
Murphy Watson, and I do hereby appoint and nominate my well beloved sons
Willis Murphey Watson and John Watson to be whole and sole executors of this
my last Will and Testament. Signed, sealed, pronounced and declared to be
his last Will and Testament in witness whereof, the said John Watson has set
his hand and seal the day and year above written. In the presence of us
John (X) Watson (SEAL)
Saml. Mefser
J. Thos. Fairchild
K. Whiten (X) Pine
Recorded in Will Book "A" Page 29 & 30. Recorded September Term 1791.
R. Tutt C.E.C.
Box 47 Pkg. 2030
{hand written 31-32}

From the "Asbell Connection" material the following:
"In the Edgefield County Court term of April 1791, the 3 witnesses came
to prove the will, with one exception. John Thomas Fairchild, who wrote the
will, stated apparently there had been an erasure and alteration on line 26.
Edward Couch testified in court that the change was made at the request of
John Watson. The will was recorded during the September 1791 term of the
Edgefield County court (Will Book "A," pp29-30)
Since this was a copy from the Will Book, it does not include the
distribution, sale, etc that possible occurred. For more information see
Box 47 Pkg 2030 (microfilm at State Archives) [I have never done this]

SPECULATION: The John Ryan Book, NATIONAL GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY VOL 51 NO 2
states "1812 March 14 , Old Mr. Watson died age 89 years old." I wonder
which Watson this is?

I have no notes on MARY. Sorry

Is this the Odum family you are working on?
Descendants of Odum
1 ODUM
..... 2 Sealy ODUM d: Bef. 1817
......... +HOLLAND
............ 3 Priscilla HOLLAND
................ +NEWMAN
..... 2 Milly ODUM d: 1816
......... +Benjamin RYAN b: Jul 21, 1745 d: Nov 11, 1813 Father: Benjamin
RYAN Mother: MARY
..... *2nd Husband of Milly ODUM:
......... +Samuel MARSH m: 1815
*... 2 Willis ODUM
..... 2 Jane ODUM
..... 2 Abraham ODUM d: Bef. 1817
............ 3 Abraham ODUM
............ 3 Nancy ODUM
............ 3 Vicey ODUM
............ 3 Milly ODUM
............ 3 Lewis ODUM
............ 3 Jancy ODUM
............ 3 Sally ODUM
............ 3 Benjamin ODUM
..... 2 Jacob ODUM d: Bef. 1817
............ 3 Nancy ODUM
..... 2 Lewis ODUM d: Bef. 1817
............ 3 Sealy ODUM
..... 2 Mary ODUM d: Bef. 1817
......... +Sampson WILLIAMS
............ 3 Theophilus WILLIAMS
............ 3 Jane WILLIAMS
............ 3 Patty WILLIAMS
..... 2 Michael ODUM d: Bef. 1813

I have a Willis Anderson Owdum who connects to my Dean ancestor - not the
direct line, but thru a different son:

Descendants of Willis Anderson Owdom
1 Willis Anderson OWDOM b: Nov 1826 in Edgefield Co, SC d: May 01, 1903
Burial: Dean Family Cemetery, Edgefield Co, SC
.. +Nancy Caroline DEAN b: Jan 01, 1828 in Edgefield Co, SC m: Aug 16, 1849
in Edgefield Co., SC d: Mar 12, 1902 Burial: Dean Family Cemetery, Edgefield
Co, SC Father: Bryant 'Bryan' DEAN Mother: Teresa "Trecy" HILL [Bryant
Dean's father is my 4-g-grand]
..... 2 William Watson OWDOM b: Abt. 1851
......... +EMMA b: Abt. 1861
............ 3 Lizzie OWDOM b: Abt. 1879
..... 2 James Benson ODUM b: Abt. 1853 in SC
......... +Sallie G. b: in SC
............ 3 Earnest OWDUM b: Apr 16, 1884 d: Jul 19, 1885 Burial: Dean
Family Cemetery, Edgefield Co, SC
..... 2 Theophilius A. 'Orphie' OWDON/ODOM b: Abt. 1858 in SC
......... +Carrie E. b: Abt. 1862 in SC
............ 3 Clifford W. ODOM b: Sep 1879
..... 2 Eller J. OWDOM b: Aug 12, 1860 d: Aug 29, 1864 Burial: Dean Family
Cemetery, Edgefield Co, SC

Hope some of this is of use to you. If you find someone of interest, let me
know and I will send a report with all notes and source.

Billie Jones
Camden, SC

This thread: