SCEDGEFI-L Archives

Archiver > SCEDGEFI > 2007-03 > 1173644097

From: "Harriet Imrey" <>
Subject: [SCEDGEFI] Scurry mysteries
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 16:14:57 -0400

It's a great puzzle! There were two Thomas Scurrys running around in SC in
1765-90, two Jesse Scurrys in 1790-1830, and two Ralph Scurrys in 1800-40.
Gideon Scurry left his will in Granville Co NC dated 20 Apr 1775 (proven
1775, n.d.). His children were Thomas Scurry, Mary Waters (a familiar
name), Elizabeth Norman, Sarah Heath, Lidda Culberd (Culbreath), Ely Scurry,
and Jesse Scurry. His widow was Catherine. Son Ely went to Maury Co NC,
sons Thomas and Jesse went to SC.

The parentage of Lydia Scurry, wife of Charles Carter, is better documented
than most of the Scurry issues. Her father Thomas named his daughter
Lidy/Lydia when he gave his Spartanburgh Co land to his son Jesse on 30 Dec
1784. Widow Mary Scurry had three unmarried daughters in her Edgefield
household in 1790, daughter Lydia having married Charles Carter in 1786.
Mary Scurry named her children in 1802 as Lydia Carter, Catherine Havird
[wife of John, his Edgefield will dated 4 Oct 1825], Rosela Scurry [b. 1785,
married Reuben Blaylock], and Mary Scurry [no documentation re if/when she
married]. Thomas Scurry had a minor son named Jesse in 1784; Mary Scurry
did not have a son in her household in 1790. Her son had probably died.
There is no particular reason to associate him with the Jesse Scurry who
left a will in Claremont/Sumter Co dated 10 Apr 1825. Sumter-Jesse was born
1755-65 (per 1810 and 1820 censuses), so would not have been a minor in need
of a guardian in 1784. Sumter-Jesse named a daughter Linny Norrell, so
probably had some Edgefield connections, if not a personal residence.

The Jesse Scurry on the 1790 Edgefield census was undoubtedly the son of
Gideon and Catherine Scurry of NC, and the brother of the late Thomas Scurry
of Ninety Six District. The name of Jesse's (second) wife is documented as
Margaret/Peggy. Her maiden name has been reported to be Culbreath, which is
likely although I haven't seen it documented. He died intestate in
Edgefield in 1826. I have not personally read the estate distribution
papers, but they are said to name his children as Thomas [married Sarah
Hill; his will dated 9 Oct 1837]; a daughter who married William Clark;
Mary, whose second husband was John Maynard; William [his Edgefield will
dated 25 Mar 1822]; Lillie/Lydia who married Thomas Hill; Dempsey, whose
second husband was John Boazman; Nancy, who married Thomas Christain;
Catherine, who married Levy Norrrell; E. [Elizabeth?], who married Charles
Gwynn; and Ralph [d. intestate in 1829]

Jesse told us that he was the father of Ralph in Edgefield Deed Book 40, p.
315:
Jesse Scurry to Ralph Scurry. Deed of Gift. For natural love of his son,
Jesse sold to Ralph for One Dollar, land on big Saluda river, the hundred
acres adj. lands of David Payne, Oliver Towles, Daniel Rogers, Catherine
Maynard, Saluda river, Thomas Scurry Junr, a branch to be the boundary
between Ralph and Thomas Scurry Junr when it is pleased God to take me out
of this unfriendly world. The sd premises before mentioned is to continue
in my own right and at my own disposal while it is pleased God for me to
live, and should I be the longest liver this obligation is to be void to all
interests and purposes, but on the contrary should Ralph Scurry be the
longest live then to be in full force. 27 February 1824. /s/ Jesse (x)
Scurry. Wit: /s/ Thomas Christain, /s/ John Culbreath. Proved 27 February
1824 by John Culbreath; Thomas Christain J P. Recorded 1 March 1824.

That was presumably the Ralph Scurry whose estate administration papers were
filed in 1829--among the recently-discovered and newly-indexed Misc. Records
of Edgefield.

The reason to believe that there were two Thomas Scurrys in colonial SC is
that one owned land in Spartanburgh, had a wife Mary who was a widowed
head-of-household in Edgefield in 1790 and 1800. Another Thomas Scurry was
an Edgefield head-of-household in 1800, but not later, was born before 1755
(as was his wife), had one son born 1790<1800, 3 daughters born 1790<1800, 1
daughter born 1784<1790. He was far too old to be Thomas, son-of-Jesse;
Thomas, brother-of-Jesse, had already died.

The family alliances were pretty tight ones. The Scurrys were connected to
Waters, Heads and Farrows in Spartanburgh Co, to Waters, Abneys, Hills,
Chappells and Culbreaths in Edgefield Co (and immediately across the Saluda
in Newberry Co). The chain-of-title on the Cedar Shoals (Spartanburgh Co)
land that Thomas Scurry gave to his son Jesse in 1784 is interesting. There
is no extant SC record re when-and-how Thomas Scurry acquired that land. If
he had been granted it, or purchased it, prior to 1772, it would be
considered to be in North Carolina. Some of the holders of NC deeds had
their titles transferred to SC after the boundary issue was settled in 1772,
but others did not. Thomas Scurry was not living on that property in
1784--he was very specific that the 120 acres were in the "tenure and
occupation" of Charles Waters. It was adjacent to land owned by Wilkes
Berry Waters (son of Col. Philemon Waters); to Philip Waters (a common
mistranscription of Philemon); to Westwood Waters (brother of Col.
Philemon); to John Head (whose wife Sarah was a sister of Col. Philemon);
and to Samuel Farrow (whose mother Rosanna was sister of Col. Philemon and
whose wife was cousin Rachel Waters). Sounds rather like a family compound!
So who was that Charles Waters? The records don't say, but it's a safe bet
that he's some kind of cousin! Thomas Scurry (son of Gideon) had a sister
Mary who was married to somebody named Waters as of 1775, per their father's
will. Charles Waters had a wife named Mary, who signed documents with him
in 1786. Waters is known to have married Marie/Mary, daughter of Pierre Le
Bon, in ~1787. That does not rule out his having been married to a Mary
Scurry in 1775-86.

The other names on the 1784 deed "ought" to tell us where Thomas and Mary
Scurry were living, but they do not, merely specify that it was Ninety Six
District. J.Q. P. Waters was Col. Philemon waters. He owned land in quite
a lot of locations, acted as J.P. mostly in Newberry/Laurens, but
occasionally had some Edgefield and Spartanburgh transactions. His actual
residence was in Newberry Co on the Bush River at its confluence with the
Saluda. Witness Thomas Gorman lived in Pendleton/Anderson Co in 1790 (as
did Charles Waters, Philemon "Ferry Phil" Waters, cousin of the Col., and as
did the Head family). Witness Charles Puckett lived in Laurens Co. So that
particular Thomas Scurry might have been living practically anywhere within
Ninety Six District, including in Edgefield. He was surely not the Thomas
Scurry who had land surveyed on the Black River in Claremont/Sumter in 1784.
Sumter-Thomas was a single man in 1770 when he got a 100-acre grant; in
1770, Ninety-Six-Thomas had a wife Mary and 3-year-old daughter Lydia.
Sumter-Thomas was possibly (probably) the one who turned up on the Edgefield
census in 1800. He doesn't seem to have been anywhere else since the end of
the war.

A noticeably missing person is the father of a Gideon Scurry born in SC in
1786 or 1788 (per 1850 and 1860 censuses of Williamsburg Co SC). Gideon was
enumerated in Claremont/Sumter Co in 1810 and 1820. There were only 3
Scurry adult males with any documentation of SC residency in 1775-1800.
Thomas Scurry, son of Gideon, did not have a son named Gideon--his only son
was a Jesse. His brother Jesse Scurry was not survived by a son Gideon,
according to his estate papers. The other Thomas Scurry (of the 1800
Edgefield census) did not have a son born prior to 1790. There must have
been another Scurry male living somewhere in SC in the 1780's--despite no
mention of one in census or land records.