SCHLESWIG-HOLSTEIN-ROOTS-L Archives

From: "Wulfcrest Farm, Inc." <>
Subject: Re: [S-H-RTS] German Bread Recipe
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 12:55:53 -0600

Now, I'd like to know if this tradition was continued in
Schleswig-Holstein or just held onto by German/Americans.

I have quite a few friends in different parts of Scleswig-Holstein and when
I asked them about ferden/furden/futjens/etc., they do not make them. Some
of the older friends do know what I am talking about, but the younger ones
haven't a clue. Most say they contain too much fat (from the frying) and
that they aren't good for the heart. We too make them on Christmas Eve, fry
in lard or oil in a kettle (no special pan) and while warm roll them in a
sugar and cinnamon mixture. If the dough is just right they will flip over
by themselves when done on the first side. Ours also are the yeast kind
with a few raisins in them. They are out of this world good and are served
with oyster stew. Think there are as many traditions as there are families.

This thread: