SCHLESWIG-HOLSTEIN-ROOTS-L Archives

From: Don Spence <>
Subject: Re: [S-H-RTS] Skipping Military Duty
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 18:46:04 -0800 (PST)

John Henry Lawrence Farenkamm, as we knew him applied for and secured
as I recall 365 acres in Butte County, near Honcut, some 20 mile north of
Marysville.

Our question - how did he leave Germany, on what ship did he sail , where
did he arrive in the U.S., and what prompted him to Butte County???? We
have nothing to go on, except this data that Klaus has presented, of evading
the service. Don't have a clue as to where to go.

A message to Klaus this a.m., hopefully will get a bit closer info. We shall see. \
Don

Patricia Sterner <> wrote:
Hmm, you're mentioning that your g'pa went to central CA interests me...mine did too; but, never could find out where for he finally settled in IA. Where did yours go to?
Pat

Don Spence wrote:
Folks - my grandfather (I think) was likewise found on Rootsdigger site! BUT,
how does one prove this info? Where and who placed it on this site?
Grandfather appears here, but can find Nothing, as to where he was born, how
he left Germany, and how he arrived in central California before 1880.
I would sure appreciate Any leads on this one. By the way, there are a lot
of names on that site. Don

Mark Hadlund wrote:
Pat,

I got my info from the Rootdigger site, I downloaded a copy of the R file
for my ancestor and other members of his family. I didn't find him, but some
of his male cousins had notations mentioning that they left to avoid
military service.

Mark