SCHLESWIG-HOLSTEIN-ROOTS-L Archives

From: "Dianne Catalano" <>
Subject: Re: [SCHLESWIG-HOLSTEIN-ROOTS] Jensen Ancestors
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 13:46:29 -0500

Inger:
I believe Jensen was Wilhelmine's married name, as I found it on John's
death certificate. I'm almost positive that both my ancestors spoke Danish.
My grandmother told me Danish words and phrases, and all family members
considered themselves Danish. I think they just gave their origins as German
and Prussian at times because of the German occupation of southern Denmark.
As to John Henry: I thought he came from southern Denmark as he indicated
that he was German on the US censuses during the period of German
occupation, and switched to identifying himself as Danish in 1920. However,
as the only Johns or Johans I found on passenger lists were for men sailing
via Liverpool, I could be wrong about that.
I know John's wife Anne came from Roeaker (? spelling), and I have
corresponded with relatives from that area. But John and Anne married in the
US, and so far as I know, met here. Thanks so much for replying. Dianne