SCHLESWIG-HOLSTEIN-ROOTS-L Archives

Subject: Re: [SCHLESWIG-HOLSTEIN-ROOTS] Lutheran Catholic Marriages
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 11:55:26 EDT

David,

I have transcribed many Catholic church records from Missouri and Illinois
churches from the 19th and early 20th centuries. These records are all in
Latin with a little German thrown in. In many cases when a Catholic
married a non-Catholic (mixed-marriage) the non-Catholic was required to sign a
form promising to raise all of the children as Catholic even if the
Catholic spouse died. These signed forms are in the record books with the
marriage records. So to answer your question, I think it would depend greatly on
what church this couple was married in. If it was a Catholic church, my
money would be on Catholic Baptisms for the kids.
Gloria - Florissant, MO

In a message dated 7/29/2009 10:43:09 A.M. Central Daylight Time,