SCHOLES-L Archives

Archiver > SCHOLES > 2000-03 > 0953745135

From: "John and Glennys Gow" <>
Subject: Scholes of Bury/Manchester
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 11:12:15 -0600

Greetings fellow Listers. I am new to the Scholes list and would like to
post my interests.

I am a descendant of ROBERT SCHOLES and MARTHA BATTERSBY who married at
Saint Mary, Bury in 1810. Children of Robert Scholes and Martha Battersby
[all c. Saint Mary, Bury] were:

JOSEPH SCHOLES c. 1811 [my gg-grandfather]
JACOB SCHOLES c. 1812
ROBERT SCHOLES c. 1815
MARY SCHOLES c 1817
ANN SCHOLES c. 1821 [and d. ?]
THOMAS SCHOLES c. 1824
ANN SCHOLES c. 1827

Gg-grandfather JOSEPH SCHOLES (then a Saddler of Manchester) migrated to
Australia in 1841 and settled in the New England district of New South Wales
with his wife SARAH RYLANCE and their three sons:

ROBERT SCHOLES c. 1834 Saint Mary, Bury
JOHN WOOLNER SCHOLES c. 1838 Cathedral, Manchester (my g-grandfather)
JOSEPH SCHOLES c. 1840 Cathedral, Manchester
[presumably a fourth son, JACOB c. 1836, died prior to 1841]

In correspondence back to England in 1841 and 1843, Joseph Scholes refers to
relatives in Manchester, Oldham, Heywood, Pendlebury, Bury, Hyde and Ringley
- "and elsewhere". He also refers to Uncles "Jno" [presumably John]
Scholes, Thomas Scholes and George Scholes, plus a spinster cousin Ellen
Scholes. There is reference to Joseph and Richard of Oldham, and Tom of
Heywood [possibly Scholes].

The Lancashire surnames of Battersby, Woolner, Rylance and Seddon were
introduced as given names into this branch of the Scholes family following
marriages with people by those names [this may be of help in identifying
family members].

Should anyone on the list have any link with this family, or be able to
assist me with my research, I would be really grateful to hear from you.
I have considerable information at the Australian end, but I am currently
trying to identify/confirm in particular:

(a) the parents of ROBERT SCHOLES [son of Robert and Ann Chettham m. 1786
Cathedral, Manchester??] who married MARTHA BATTERSBY in 1810;
(b) the names of ROBERT'S siblings [JOHN, GEORGE, THOMAS and possibly
others??];
(c) the marriage of JOSEPH SCHOLES/SARAH RYLANCE [possibly1833 - cannot
locate on IGI].

With thanks,
Glennys Gow
Lismore, NSW, Australia