SCMARLBO-L Archives

Archiver > SCMARLBO > 2000-05 > 0959525507

From: Josephine Lindsay Bass <>
Subject: [SCMARLBO-L] Was the Davis family in Society Hill, Darlington Co., SC????
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 10:51:47 -0400

Of the many Davis emigrants to America the family which later became most
notable is that of Evan Davis, Samuel Davis and Joseph Davis; three
brothers who emigrated from Cardiff, Wales, about 1730. Evan Davis and
Samuel Davis landed at Philadelphia: Joseph Davis was drowned on the
voyage. Samuel Davis went to what was then the Middle West.
Some time after 1761, the exact date not being known, Evan Davis emigrated
from Pennsylvania to Georgia. He married while still in Pennsylvania, Mrs.
Mary Emory Williams, a widow. Her father was Joseph Emory. By her first
marriage this lady had two sons, Daniel Williams and Isaac Williams, both
of whom were soldiers in the Revolution. It was due to their participation
in the war that their young half-brother, Samuel Davis also joined the
forces of the Revolution, being sent by their mother to join them.
Evan Davis and his wife (Mary Emory Davis), had at least one son, Samuel
Davis, mentioned above, who was born in Pennsylvania in 1756. This Samuel
Davis, who was in the Revolution, was the father of President Jefferson
Davis of the Confederate States of America.
Mrs. Metta Andrews Green, the well-known historian of Georgia, has made
close study of the life and residence of Evan Davis. She writes: "Evan
Davis moved to Georgia from Pennsylvania and settled about forty miles
above Augusta, so says Mrs. Davis in the life of her husband.
" 'The place forty miles above Augusta' is in Wilkes County four miles
south of Washington. It belongs to the estate of Mr.Gabriel Toombs. Before
Mr. Toombs died I had a long talk with him. I was at this time writing
something of Jefferson Davis' ancestry. Mr. Toombs told me that he himself
was the third owner of the place from Samuel Davis, the father of Jefferson
Davis. The deeds are all recorded here in our court house.
"I also found that Samuel Davis fought at the Battle of Kettle Creek: His
name is certified to by General Elijah Clarke. Evan Davis died and is
buried on the place now owned by the estate of Gabriel Toombs. The spot was
pointed out to me. I have visited it many times. There is a large Indian
mound near by. The place I speak of is on Beaver Dam Creek, near the
Washington branch of the Georgia railroad.
"If records filed in the court house and human testimony count for
anything, there can be no doubt of these facts. I wrote to Mrs. Davis about
the matter and I have her letter agreeing with my statement. I also visited
her in her apartment in New York. I was at the time very interested in
collecting names of those who fought at Kettle Creek, and when I found
Samuel Davis' name, I began to study the Davis' family history, also the
genealogy.
The Kettle Creek battle alluded to was fought February 14, 1780, at War
Hill. General Toombs used to speak of Wilkes County as the "Hornets Nest"
of the Revolution. It was more than that. Like the battle of King's
Mountain, it was a turning point.
Savannah had been captured and the British commanders were making plans to
aid the Tories in possessing Georgia. To this end Colonel Boyd, a British
officer, was secretly employed to organize the Tories in South Carolina and
had crossed the Savannah River and entered Wilkes on his way to the British
army, expecting to join the British forces which had possession of Augusta.
This would have given the British commanders a sweep of the Southern
country. The Royal Governor had been restored to power in Savannah. Thus
the importance of the Kettle Creek battle.
Samuel Davis was at the siege of Savannah, and as he had raised and was
captain of a Georgia company during the war, it is more than probable that
he had, with him under General Clarke at Kettle Creek a portion of his
company. As his father, Evan Davis, lived in Wilkes, the Samuel Davis
company must have enlisted most of its men from the "Hornets Nest" and were
"Wilkes boys".
Col. Elijah Clarke lived to realize his fond hopes to see Augusta again
under the American colors. The State of Georgia as a reward for his
services, gave him a commission as a major-general and a handsome grant of
land. And South Carolina gave large land grants to Samuel Davis.
CAPTAIN SAMUEL DAVIS
Samuel Davis, the Revolutionary soldier, son of Evan Davis the Emigrant,
and his wife Mary Emory Davis, was born in 1756, in Pennsylvania. He died
in 1824 in Mississippi. As stated in foregoing paragraphs, he was a Captain
in the Revolution, having raised a company of Volunteers in Georgia. Later
he joined the Continental Army and served in South Carolina as well as
Georgia. He was in the Battle of Kettle Creek and in the Siege of Savannah.
For his services the State of South Carolina granted him a thousand acres
of land (in what is now Kentucky) and he moved to settle upon that
property. There his famous son Jefferson Davis was born. From Kentucky
Samuel Davis moved to Louisiana, and again in 1811 he moved to Mississippi
where in 1824 he died.
Captain Samuel Davis married in 1782, Jane Cook, a daughter of Mrs. Sarah
Simpson Cook, who was herself a daughter of Samuel Simpson, said to have
been assistant Quartermaster of the Pennsylvania Regiment during the
Revolution. His father was Thomas Simpson and his father was John Simpson,
who emigrated from Scotland to Ireland and from Ireland to America,
settling in Pennsylvania as did many of the Scotch-Irish people.
Samuel Davis and his wife, Jane Simpson Cook Davis, had ten children, namely:
1 Joseph Emory Davis.
2 Benjamin Davis.
3 Samuel Davis, Second.
4 Isaac Davis.
5 Anne Davis.
6 Amanda Davis.
7 Lucinda Davis.
8 Matilda Davis.
9 Mary Anne Davis.
10 Jefferson Davis.

JOSEPH EMORY DAVIS
1 Joseph Emory Davis, born 1784, died 1870; was a lawyer and planter in
Mississippi. His young brother, Jefferson Davis, spent much time with him
and in the splendid library of the home absorbed much of the wealth of
knowledge for which he was noted in after years. Joseph Emory Davis married
Elizabeth Van Benthysen and had one daughter, Mary Lucinda Davis, who
married in 1837, Dr. Charles Jouett Mitchell, of Vicksburg, as his first wife.
2 Benjamin Davis, Second, was a planter. He married Cynthia Campbell
(Moably) and died leaving children.
3 Samuel Davis, Second, was a planter. He married Lucy Throckmarton. They
had one daughter, Helen Davis, who married ----- Keary, and had Robert
Keary, Samuel Keary, Pauline Keary and Ellen Keary.
4 Isaac Davis married Susan Guerthy. They had one son who was General
Joseph Emory Davis, Second.
5 Anne Davis married Luther Smith, and had a daughter, Anne Davis Smith.
AMANDA DAVIS
6 Amanda Davis, married David Bradford. They had four children, namely: (a)
Jefferson Davis Bradford (who was an enginer in the United States Army; (b)
Lucy Bradford (who married Dr. Charles Jouett Mitchell, of Vicksburg, her
first cousin's widower, as his second wife and had at least one daughter
--- Mitchell, who married Eli Joseph Ganier. They had two sons, Lincoln
Mitchell Ganier, who is unmarried and lives in Chattanooga, and Albert
Francis Ganier who lives in Nashville and married Ann Eastman, daughter of
Mr. and Mrs. Roger Eastman of Nashvile. Their two sons are: Albert Francis
Ganier, junior, and Roger Eastman Ganier.
(c) Elizabeth Porter Bradford, who married Mansell II, son of Mansell White
I, in the United States. Their children were Mansell White, III, who is
unmarried; Lucy White, who married Clement Penrose Wilkerson and has four
children; Mary Bradford White, who married Ringgold Brouspears and had five
children; Carl White (who married Mary Mitchell of Cincinnati, and had
seven children, namely: Carl White, Second, who is unmarried, Elizabeth
White who is a nun in the convent of the Sacred Heart, Nancy Miles White
who married Charles Earl Johnson, junior, of Raleigh, North Carolina, and
has a son, Charles Earl Johnson, Third, Charlotte White who married Robert
Swepson Cowan, Second, and has a son Robert Swepson Cowan, junior, Mansell
White, Fourth. Lincoln Mitchell White and Richard White who are unmarried);
Albert Sidney Johnson White who married Ellen Tobin and has five children;
(d) Elizabeth Parker Bradford White who married Edwin Rodd,, Nancy Miles
White who married Thomas Helms Anderson and has two children); and David
Bradford, Second, (who served in the Confederate Army. He married in 1838,
Ada Eliza Poltenger).
7 Lucinda Davis, married William Stampes of Woodville, Mississippi.
8 Matilda Davis, died unmarried.
9 Mary Anne Davis, married Robert Davis of South Carolina.

JEFFERSON DAVIS, PRESIDENT OF THE CONFEDERATE STATES OF AMERICA
10 Jefferson Davis was the tenth child and the fifth son of Captain Samuel
Davis and Jane Cook Davis. He was born in Christian County, Kentucky, June
3, 1808. He died in New Orleans, December 8, 1889. His father and mother
removed from Wilkes County, Georgia, to Kentucky, shortly after the
revolution owing to a grant of six thousand acres of land, a reward for
distinguished Revolutionary service.
Captain Samuel Davis, when his distinguished son was still small, moved
again, this time to Mississippi. Jefferson Davis attended schools in
Mississippi, St. Thomas College Kentucky, Transylvania University, at
Lexington, Kentucky and he graduated from West Point in 1828, with high
honors and served in the Indian Wars. In 1825 while an officer in the army
he married Sarah Knox Taylor, daughter of General Zachary Taylor and
Margaret Mackall Smith Taylor. Upon his marriage, Lieutenant Davis resigned
from the army and retired to Briarfield, the plantation in Mississippi,
which had been given him by his brother, Joseph Emory Davis.

This thread: