SCOT-DNA-L Archives

Archiver > SCOT-DNA > 2011-07 > 1310603008

From: Robert chisholm <>
Subject: Re: [SCOT-DNA] Clan Chisholm DNA project
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 12:23:28 +1200

Not a lot happening on this group, so I thought I would post a significant
result on the Clan Chisholm Project. Quite old news really, but the DNA
project results have backed up the clans more highly regarded origin story,
and that is the Norman origin, via the conquest,marriage into Roxburghshire,
and "conquest via marriage" into the Highlands.
Identified Old Chiefs line via severaldocumented genealogies(Modern Chief's
line is female descent from 1888) , classic I1 Norse type identified by Ken
Nordeveldt.
Within Clan Chisholm this single type is representing 30-40% of Chisholm
named project members.
Large DNA footprint traceable back through England, a small amount in
Normandy, and back to Scandinavia. Several large family groups (English) who
match and would represent sibling lines of Norman family prior to the first
representative to found the new surname . de Cheseholme, in Scotland, during
reign of David I .

Many non Chisholm people of this haplotype wanting to join the Chisholm
project, primarily because when they open their matching lists, they a
literally blasted with a Clanful of Chisholm surnames. One Swedish person
has also joined and changed his name to include chisholm as well, and that
is because of a common ancestor prior to the Viking invasion of Normandy.

Other DNA in Clan, majority representive R1b but smaller family groups,
predominace of British, but still significant numbers with Gaelic ancestry.
Over all Highland Part of Clan is likely to exceed 50% celtic base, as the
I1 Norman type does include the Borders branch which has over time spread
throughout the lowland and back to Northumbria(whence it originally came ,
as oral histories have the first de Cheseholme being a Norman Knight from
Tindale)
Plus my very own type,(I1b Sardinia) seems to be virtually unknown in
Scotland and with more matches in meditteranean lands. But forms a
significant fam group, about 5%, second equal largest group in clan. No wide
differences in this subgroup , Possible evidence of something leftover from
the Spanish Armada. (Rumoured survivors washed ashore on Black Isle, and
other potential source being the marines who settled scores for Hec Mclean,
when repatriated from the West Coast, after their galleon was blown up by
Good Queen Bess at Tobermoray, the logical route from their to the Spanish
Netherlands was overland via Chisholm country to an easy coast port.

So overall, a good result for DNA, proves beyond doubt the favoured origin
foundation story, and all those origin myths about the men of the north, the
Earl of Orkney, can be dispensed with.

Robert Chisholm
Administrator of Clan Chisholm DNA Project