SCOTLAND-GENWEB-L Archives

Archiver > SCOTLAND-GENWEB > 1999-10 > 0939412641

From: "Donald Maclean" <>
Subject: Re: Where is the Town of Geilston?
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 20:57:21 +0100

On October 10, Brett Woods wrote:

>I am trying to identify a John Wood "of Geilston" who lived there --
>wherever it was --in 1609. The problem is that I cannot find a
>Geilston. I have located a Geilston House and Geilston Gardens. And I
>have located a Gelston. Can anyone provide any clues to where (or what)
>Geilston might have been circa 1609? Thanks for any help.

The lands of Geilston lie on the western edge of Cardross village, formerly part of
Dumbartonshire, but now in Argyll & Bute following a redrawing of Regional Council
Boundaries. Cardross lies on the north bank of the River Clyde about 3 miles west of
Dumbarton and 4 east of Helensburgh. Geilston has been known by that name from
ancient times. The name is said to mean the "tun", or farm enclosure, of the
"ghillies", or farm servants. Coincidentally, the Geilston Estate was owned for a
large part of the 18th Century by a family called Geils. Geilston House was, and is,
the estate mansion house. Geilston Gardens, attached to the house, are now in the
care of The National Trust for Scotland.

The lands of Geilston were owned in the 16th century by a family called Wood, but at
some point during the 17th century became the property of a branch of the Bontine
family.

Donald Maclean.

This thread: