SCOTLAND-L Archives

Archiver > SCOTLAND > 2002-09 > 1031748890

From: "Chris Strohfeldt" <>
Subject: [SCOTS~] John CAMPBELL of the House of Argyle
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 22:55:29 +1000

I would like to post an update in my search for info on my 6x great grandfather John CAMPBELL, but first I would like to extend a very warm thank you to Don Hagist. It is thanks to an e-mail from him that I went through all my Campbell records again with a fine tooth comb & this "new" info came to light.
In my original e-mail I thought that my John was a Captain in the 22nd Regiment of Foot because the year, name of his wife (Mary), and the connection to the Campbells of Argyle all fitted with my John.
However, after going back through my papers, it has come to light that my John was an Attorney. I have an extract from an "Index to Attorneys" by Sir Arthur Vicars. Entry no. 546 John Campbell of Dublin Esq 16 Oct 1789 - 9 Jan 1890, wife Hon. Mary Blayney, sons: John Blayney Campbell, Charles Blayney Campbell, James Touchet Campbell, daus: Maryann Campbell, Margaret m. W. Watson, Ellinor m. Kelly Esq.
John & Mary's son JamesTouchet Campbell was an officer in the 38th Reg of Foot. He was an Ensign 2 Nov 1775, Lieutenant 7 Feb 1779, Captain 26 Mar 1794.
Their son John Blayney Campbell is on the 1841 census for Fort Henry Barracks, Grouville as aged 80 years, Lieutenant Army, born Scotland.
I look forward to hearing from anyone who can help me with more info on John as I am still trying to figure out where he fits into the Campbells of Argyle.

Best wishes

Sandra Strohfeldt
Ipswich, Qld, Australia

This thread: