SCROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > SCROOTS > 2005-11 > 1132111453

From: "Eugene Stackhouse" <>
Subject: Re: [SC] Getting Ancestry.Com to change the info!! ENOUGH!
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 22:24:13 -0500

Well said!

Gene Stackhouse, Germantown
----- Original Message -----
From: Carolyn Cooper<mailto:>
To: <mailto:>
Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2005 10:12 PM

I put some of my family files on Rootsweb's WorldConnect a long time before
they became connected with Ancestry.com. I have no problem with either
service and have found they've benefited my research. I can't begin to tell
you how many "cousins" I've found. They've provided me with data I didn't
have and have corrected errors in name spellings, dates of birth, etc. It's
been great and I'm glad I put the data online.

The terms of service on both sites tell you that if you have a problem with
a particular entry, you must contact the person who contributed the file.
It is not Ancestry or Rootsweb's responsibility to correct what someone
submitted in a GEDCOM. I've written submitters with corrections and they've
been grateful for my input. If you find an error, leave a post-em on the
entry. It stays there forever.

As for the census records on Ancestry, I can only say that it beats the heck
out of driving to the Archives, library or FHC. If you find a transcription
error, Ancestry has a facility for adding an alternate name. It may take
awhile for your corrections to appear, but they do post them. I've seen
some of mine in recent weeks.

If you don't like these online files, don't read them. If you don't like
Ancestry.com, don't go to their website. Go back to the old ways of digging
for your roots.

Carolyn Cooper