SCSALUDA-L Archives

Archiver > SCSALUDA > 2009-08 > 1250984098

From: "Dr. Constance T. McNeill" <>
Subject: Re: [SCSALUDA] Family of Ira Butler and Jennie Leopard Butlerquestions
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 19:34:58 -0400 (EDT)

According to her granddaughter, Olin Lee Bledsoe, Sr and Vera Alice
Butler divorced and she remarried a Matthews per this obit. Her
granddaughter is Judy Norris Long, editor of the Carolina Herald of SCGS.
and daughter of Shirley Bledsoe and Leonard C Norris.

Olin Lee Bledsoe, Sr and Vera Alice Butler had

Carrie Lee Bledsoe married a Miller
Marvin K Bledsoe
Jean Bledsoe married Jewell B Chrisley born 28 July 1930 died 23 Jul 1997
buried at Elmwood Cemetery in Ninety Six.
Shirley Ann Bledsoe born Aug 1938 married Leonard Conway 'Len' Norris.
he was born 13 Mar 1938 in Wagener and died 7 April 2004 in Greenwood.
He is also bured at Elmwood. Shirley just celebrated her 70th birthday
and has four daughters.

See Len Norris Obit below Louvenia's

Also, if you go to www.Find a grave.com and look up the listings that are
posted on there for Greenwood Memorial gardens (only a fraction) you will
see picturs and info from the tombstones of those that have been posted.
Randy has done this for his Butler's.

Thanks. Randy.

This site is excellent for finding info on some of the family. I have
been oing through the 790 postings for Pineview Memorial Park in N.
Augusta. Some have the obits posted also.

Also the listings for Sunset Hill.

Louvenia Miller Bledsoe died in 2003 see obit following this.

The Anderson Independent - Alice Matthews, Ninety Six, Alice Butler
Matthews, 86, formerly of 408 Wilson Bridge Road, died June 18, 1996, at
Long Residential Care Nursing Home in Saluda. She was a member of
Nazareth United Methodist Church in Leesville. Surviving are three
daughters, Jean Chrisley and Shirley Norris, both of Ninety Six, and
Carrie Miller of Edgefield, a son, Marvin K. Bledsoe of Dazell; a
stepdaughter, Elizabeth Shealy of Leesville, two stepsons, George
Matthews and William Lloyd Matthews, Jr. both of Batesburg; a brother
Rufus Butler of Ninety Six; three sisters, Jeanette Turner of Ninety Six,
Nannie Bledsoe of Columbia, and Essie Farmer of Newberry, 23
grandchildren, 32 great grandchildren and three great great
grandchildren. Memorials may be made to the American Heart Association,
Greenwood County Chapter, c/o Charlotte Koone, 104 Heritage West Court,
Greenwood, SC 29649. Services 3 PM Thursday at Blyth Funeral Home
Chapel, Greenwood, with burial in Elmwood Cemetery. Visistation 7-9 PM
Wednesday at the Funeral Home. The family is at the home of Shirley
Norris, Wilson Bridge Road, Ninety Six.

Bledsoe, Louvenia Miller - JOHNSTON, S.C. - Louvenia Miller Bledsoe, 76,
of Johnston Highway, died Saturday, October 25, 2003, at University
Hospital in Augusta. Born on August 23, 1927, in Saluda County, she was
the daughter of the late Reedy F. and Mae Dell Jones Miller. She was the
wife of the late Olin L. Bledsoe. Mrs. Bledsoe was retired from Federal
Pacific Electric Co. and was a Bailiff for Saluda County Courthouse. She
was a member of Bethlehem United Methodist Church. Surviving are one son
and daughter-in-law, Olin Lee and Carol Bledsoe of Johnston; one stepson,
Marvin Bledsoe of Sumter; three stepdaughters, Carrie Lee Miller of
Edgefield, Jean Chrisley and Shirley Norris, both of Ninety-Six; one
brother, Harold Miller of Columbia; three sisters, Allie Mae Bledsoe of
Johnston, Grace Bartley of Saluda and Gail Guay of Lexington; two
grandchildren, Heather Bledsoe of Greenwood and Trey Bledsoe of Johnston;
step grandchildren and step great-grandchildren. Mrs. Bledsoe was
preceded in death by two brothers, Vernon and John Miller. Graveside
services will be 3 p.m., Tuesday, October 28, 2003, at Bethlehem United
Methodist Church Cemetery, with Rev. Tina Thomas officiating. The family
will receive friends in the church following the service. Memorials may
be made to Bethlehem United Methodist Church, c/o Keith Rushton, N. 305
Wise Road, Saluda, SC 29138. Ramey Funeral Home is in charge. Published
in The Augusta Chronicle on 10/26/2003.

Len Norris NINETY SIX - Leonard Conway "Len" Norris, 66, of 1408 Wilson
Bridge Road, husband of Shirley Bledsoe Norris, died Wednesday, April 7,
2004. Born in Wagener, he was a son of the late Aubrey C. and Pauline
Summers Norris. He served in the Air Force and was former owner and
operator of Norris and Norris Builders. He was a member of Ninety Six
First Baptist Church. Survivors include his wife of the home; four
daughters, Mrs. Darrel (Judy) Long of Central, Mrs. Rick (Connie) Burgess
of Cross Hill, Mrs. Curtis (Cathy) Evans of Goose Creek, Mrs. Alan
(Jennifer) Peppers of Ninety Six; a brother, James "Jimmy" Norris of
Greenwood; 12 grandchildren; five great-grandchildren. Services are 3
p.m. today at Ninety Six First Baptist Church, conducted by the Revs.
Steve Justice and Randy Ouzts. The body will be placed in the church at
2. Burial is in Elmwood Cemetery. Pallbearers are Vaughn Boyce, Billy
Williams, Lee Bledsoe, Colin Gunnells, Doug Alexander, Irby Shealy and
Ronnie Shealy. Honorary escorts are members of Butler Sunday School Class
and Jack Marshall Sunday School Class, both of the church, along with Ben
Milner and Randy Stephenson. The family is at the home. Memorials may be
made to the American Cancer Society, P.O. Box 1741, Greenwood, SC 29648
or the American Heart Association, P.O. Box 6604, Columbia, SC 29260.
Blyth Funeral Home, Greenwood, is in charge. Online condolences may be
sent to the family at www.blythfuneralhome.com

> Randy,
>
> The Death Cert. for Kathleen Volrath Butler, which you posted below,
> gives her place of birth as Elberton, GA. I think it is one that I
looked up also.

> Your outline gives that she was born in Acworth, Cobb, Georgia, USA.
> What is your source for this location of birth, rather than Elberton, GA?
>
> By the way, There is no Elberton Co, GA, so the places of birth were
> probably the town of Elberton in Elbert Co, GA. and I assumed at the
> time it was a county. Just checked the GA map and Google and there is
not an Elberton Co, GA.

> I was thinking maybe the areas might be close, but Elbert Co., GA is west
> of Abbeville Co, across the Savannah River. Cobb Co. is northwestern
> Atlanta, and Acworth is in the far north western corner of Cobb.
>
> Do you know which is correct??
>
> Another possible change that needs to be made: You wrote
>
> ."....... 2 Vera Alice Butler b: 1912 in Edgefield County, S.C. d: Bet.
> 1920 - 1927" We have her married toOlin Lee Bledsoe. They are found
> together in the 1930
> census, so she died after 1930:
>
> CENSUS: 1930 Saluda Co, SC sent to me by Beth Collins.
> Olin Bledsoe head, 24, md age 21
> Alice Bledsoe wife, 21, md age 18
> Carie L Bledsoe daughter 1 ?/12
> Levi Bledsoe (Father) (Widower) 61
>
> I have other children for Olin Lee Bledsoe, Sr. and all attached to Vera
> Alice, but guess they must go to 2nd wife, Louvenia Miller, dpending on
> their birthdate. Louvinina was not born until 8/23/1927 Saluda SC, d.
> 10/25/2003 Augusta GA. However, HC Ouzts has children with Alice Bledsoe
> until 1945. I don't find a cemetery listing for Vera Alice Butler
> Bledsoe > in the cem. records I have. Olin and Louvenia Miller Bledsoe
are buried at Bethlehem Methodist. My copy of the cem. records has no
death date for Louvenia, but HC gave the 2003 date.

> [...]
> Benjamin
> Daniel Leopard Mother: Hettie A. 'Shady' (Leopard) Butler
> ..... 2 Hettie Mae (Adams) Butler b: Jun 01, 1898 in SC d: Jun 19, 1977
> in
> Greenwood Co, SC
> ......... +John Olin Adams b: May 31, 1899 d: Oct 22, 1958 in Greenwood
> Co,
> SC
> ..... 2 James Artis Butler b: Jun 27, 1900 in SC d: Nov 29, 1991
> ..... 2 Rufus Butler b: Jan 11, 1902 in SC d: Nov 12, 1997
> ......... +Annie Ruth (Butler) Davis b: Jan 18, 1903 d: Jul 30, 1977
> ..... 2 James Andrew Butler b: Aug 21, 1903 in SC d: Aug 18, 1980
> ......... +Thelma (Butler) Price b: Feb 22, 1909 d: Feb 1986
> ..... 2 Essie Orean (Farmer) Butler b: Jun 28, 1905 in SC d: Feb 23, 1999
> ......... +John Edward Farmer b: Mar 13, 1902 d: Apr 26, 1991
> ..... 2 Bejamin Daniel Butler b: Nov 18, 1906 in SC d: Feb 15, 1994
> Burial:
> Greenwood Memorial Gardens, Greenwood, Greenwood co, SC
> ......... +Madge Alice Dorn b: Aug 03, 1906 d: Jul 1978
> ..... 2 Albert Pinkney Butler, Sr b: Nov 01, 1908 in Greenwood Co, SC d:
> Dec
> 15, 1990 in Self Memorial Hospital, Greenwood, Greenwood Co, SC Burial:
> Elmwood Cem, Ninety Six, Greenwood Co, SC
> ......... +Kathleen (Butler) Vollrath b: Aug 07, 1908 in Elberton, GA. m:
> 1929 d: Mar 22, 1946 in Ninety-Six, Greenwood Co, SC Father: George T.
> Vollrath Mother: Emma Milhurt Burial: Elmwood Cem, Ninety-Six, Greenwood
> co,
> SC
> ..... *2nd Wife of Albert Pinkney Butler, Sr:
> ......... +Ella Seymour b: Oct 21, 1900 in Greenwood Co, SC m: Aft. Mar
> 22,
> 1946 d: Jul 25, 1987 in Greenwood Co, SC Burial: Elmwood Cemetery. Ninety
> Six, Greenwood Co, SC
> ..... 2 Vera Alice (Bledsoe) (Goff) Butler b: ca 1912 in SC
> ......... + Olin Lee Bledsoe, Sr. b: Nov 10, 1905 m: ca 1927 d: Apr 02,
> 1997
> Father: Levi A. 'Lee' Bledsoe Mother: Carrie Dodgen Burial: Bethlehem
> Methodist Church, Saluda Co, SC
> ..... *2nd Husband of Vera Alice (Bledsoe) (Goff) Butler:
> ......... + Sam Goff [ASSUMED from Obit of Jennie Leopard Butler (Mrs.
> Ira Butler)]
> ..... 2 Nellie Ada (Bledsoe) Butler b: Apr 15, 1913 in SC d: Jan 22, 1993
> ......... +Buford Monroe Bledsoe b: Feb 10, 1909 d: Dec 11, 1989
> ..... 2 Harold Sheppard Butler b: Dec 11, 1914 in SC d: Dec 19, 1995
> ......... +Mamie Ethel (Butler) Lanier b: Jan 04, 1920 d: Sep 02, 1997
> ..... 2 Nannie Zora (Bledsoe) Butler b: Aug 31, 1916 in Greenwood Co, SC
> d: Oct 29, 2005 in Columbia, Richland Co, SC Burial: Bethlehem Methodist
> Cem., Johnston, Edgefield Co, SC
> ......... +Marion Lawrence Bledsoe b: Jan 18, 1917 in Saluda Co, SC d:
> Jan 14, 1974 in Saluda Co, SC Burial: Bethlehem Methodist Church Cem,
Saluda Co, SC