SCSPARTA-L Archives

Archiver > SCSPARTA > 2001-02 > 0982542940

From: "Libby Nations" <>
Subject: Re: [SCSPARTA] continuing....John Tolloson...
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 18:35:40 -0600

Eveline or anyone, Do you have any information on the following Elizabeth
Tolloson/Tolson who married Elias DeHart? Thanks, Libby
Descendants of Elizabeth Tolson

Generation No. 1

1. ELIZABETH1 TOLSON was born September 08, 1740 in Spartanburg Co., SC. She
married ELIAS DEHART 1760, son of SIMON DEHART and AYLES ELESON. He was born
March 10, 1729/30 in Spartanburg Co., SC1, and died April 01, 1821 in Are
believed to be buried near Johnson Fork Creek at Coopersville, KY.

More About ELIAS DEHART and ELIZABETH TOLSON:

Marriage: 1760

Children of ELIZABETH TOLSON and ELIAS DEHART are:

i. ELIJAH2 DEHART.

ii. ELISHA DEHART.

iii. RICHARD ELIAS JR. DEHART.

iv. MARY DEHART, b. 1761.

v. SARAH DEHART, b. 1762.

vi. REUBEN DEHART2, b. Abt. 1775, NC; m. ANN HALL, 1801, NC.

More About REUBEN DEHART and ANN HALL:

Marriage: 1801, NC

vii. JOHN DEHART, b. July 18, 1777, Wayne Co., KY; d. May 09, 1843, Wayne
Co.,KY; m. LETTIE LARKIN; b. September 11, 1780.

Notes for JOHN DEHART:

Wayne County Court Order Book, page 347: May 1843: Proof was this day made

to the court that

John Dehart departed this life on 9 May 1843.

More About JOHN DEHART:

Census: 1840, Wayne Co.,KY

Medical Information:

More About LETTIE LARKIN:

Census: 1850, Wayne Co.,KY(widow)w/ son Toilison age 26

viii. NATHAN DEHART, b. February 23, 1781, Rowan Co., NC; d. September 10,
1861; m. CATHERINE RAMSEY, November 06, 1803, Burke Co., NC; b. 1782, Burke
Co., NC; d. 1861.

Notes for NATHAN DEHART:

Nathan , while an adolescent he moved with his parents to Wayne Co.,
Kentucky. Reaching adulthood he returned to Rowan Co., area where he married
Catherine in Burke Co.They remained in Burke Co. until moving to East
Tennessee for a brief period whereafter they removed to Wayne Co., KY at
Johnson;s Fork Creek. Here Nathan purchased 52 acres of land on Johnsons
Fork, Survey date June 1, 1816. (Source: Ancestry.com) Catherine's father
Richard Ramsey is recorded arriving in Wayne Co. in 1816. In 1828 Nathan,
was influenced by his firstborn son, John DeHart, to remove to Macon Co.,
NC. Nathan is the patriarch of the DeHart branch in Western NC. Nathan
purchased 80 acres in the Nantahala township near the Little Tennessee
River. In a few years his land holdings amounted to over a thousand acres in
Macon (now Swain) and Cherokee counties, NC. His farm was situated at
Licklog Creek. This creek was named by reason of Nathan filling a fallen log
with salt for his cattle, which attracted many deer along the creek. In 1832
the Brush Creek Baptist Church was organized with Nathan and Catherine
DeHart among its original 18 members. In 1851 they participated in the
Organization of the Cold Spring Church. Nathan owned slaves, Sookie (she was
bought on Sept. 11th 1852, she was 8 years old, Deed Book F, P. 416 Macon
Co.,NC) and Rufin, later owned by son John, and Henson.(Source: Emmett
Price, ) . In 1850 Nathan owed one 18 year old female slave.

Macon Co, NC Deed Book F, p 416:

"Received of Nathan Dehart four hundred Dollars for a negro girl about Eight

years old Named Suck which I warrant the right of property and the same to
be

Sound in body and health as witness my hand and Seal November 26th 1840."

Signed by Taylor McNabb, Witnessed by Levi Coffa and Harrison Gibson. This

bill of sales was proven in open court September 1852.

Macon Co, NC Deed Book L, p 158:

" State of North Carolina Macon Coutry July 19, 1853 Received of Nathan

DeHart Seven hundred Dollwars for a negro boy named Ruffin aged twenty five

years last December which boy I warrant & defend the right & title of but A

boy negro has a deficiency in his hand and is subject to cholic and pains in

his head as witness my hand & seal the day & date above written" Signed by

Elijah Reval and attested to by Jas M. Thompson. Proved in open court,

September, 1853.

From Appalachian Pioneers, A Genealogical and Biographical History of

Jenkins, Gass, DeHart, Mingus, Sumter and Allied Families of Western NC by

Gary Claude Jenkins:

"In 1857 Nathan DeHart and son Morgan drew up a legal agreement in which

Morgan was to have the use of his father's land for seven years . . . he

(Morgan) is also require to care for his father and mother, excepting their

food and clothing . . . Nathan gave Morgan a two year old Negro child for
the

payment of waiting on them."

Will of Nathan DeHart, dated 16 Jul 1860, recorded in Cherokee Co, NC:

". . . I will that my beloved wife, Catherine . . . also my Negro Boy named

Henson to wait on her while she lives . . . my Negro Boy, Henson shall be

sold to none but to my children I have named" Signed by Nathan DeHart.

Linda Banwarth wrote:" DeHarts did a unique "backwards migration" into

western NC from KY. Our Freemans did the same thing. We know Nathan was born

in NC and married there - he then proceeded to move around like a vagabond
for

years, dragging his poor pregnant wife with him from new location to new

location. He appears in Wayne Co KY for a number of years (we find him on
the

census records and in land records) - we also find a George and William

Lovelace living close by the family. About 1826, Nathan and his oldest son,

John (who had just recently married Jane Roberts), took off for eastern TN
for

the newly opened and very cheap Cherokee Indian lands that had opened up

there. On the 1826 Monroe Co, TN tax list that I find him on, guess who is

also listed? A George Lovelace! I suspect that some of these Lovelaces

migrated with the DeHarts in search of the land. By 1828, Nathan is buying
up

huge quantities of land in Macon Co NC, just over the line from Monroe Co,
as

is his son, John (who eventually became one of the largest land owners in
Macon

Co). George Lovelace does not appear in that area, so I suspect that he
ended

up on some of the Cherokee lands in eastern TN. The DeHarts are established

and living in Macon Co by the 1830 census. In that census, the only DeHarts

listed in Macon Co are Nathan and John. Our William appears to be living in

his father's household in that census (all the numbers seem to fit and I
don't

find him by himself anywhere). Later that year or possibly the following,

William marries Sarah Lovelace. I suspect that Sarah was with the George

Lovelace that came to Monroe Co TN and that is how she knew William."

KENTUCKY LAND GRANTS Volume 1 Part 1 (Ancestry)

CHAPTER VI KENTUCKY LAND WARRANTS (1816-1873)

page 528 Grantee: Dehart, Nathan Acres: 52 Book: B Page: 67

Date Survey: 6- 1-1816 County: Wayne Watercourse: Johnsons Fk

Wayne Co, KY tax lists

for 1801-1825.

1812

Nathan Dehart, 37 acres, 1 white male 21+, 1 horse

1813

Nathan Dehart, no land, 1 white male 21+, 5 horses

1814

Nathan Dehart, no land, 1 white male 21+, 5 horses

1815

Nathan Dehart, 92 acres on Johnson's Fork, 1 white male 21+, 2

horses

1816

Nathan Dehart, 32 acres on Johnson Fork, 1 white male 21+, 1 horse

1817 Nathan Dehart, 84 acres on Johnson Fork, 1 white male 21+, 3 horses

1818 no tax list available

1819

Nathan Dehart, 85 acres, 1 white male 21+, 2 horses

1820

Nathan Dehart, 85 acres, 1 white male 21+, 3 horses

1821 Nathan Dehart, 100 acres, 1 white male 21+, 2 horses

1822 Nathan Dehart, 100 acres, 1 white male 21+, 2 horses

1823

Nathan Dehart, no land, 1 white male 21+, 4 horses

More About NATHAN DEHART:

Burial: Licklog Cem. (Needmore area on Breedlove RD. )

Census: 1810, Wayne Co.,KY

More About CATHERINE RAMSEY:

Burial: Licklog Cem. (in Needmore area on Breedlove Rd.) Swain Co. NC

More About NATHAN DEHART and CATHERINE RAMSEY:

Marriage: November 06, 1803, Burke Co., NC

Endnotes

1. Letter dated May 31, 1858 by Nathan DeHart. "My father Elias DeHart was
born Mar. 10, 1730 and died Apr. 1, 1821 "

2. All Reubin DeHart family came from Dale R. DeHart.

This thread: