SCT-BANFFSHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > SCT-BANFFSHIRE > 2005-10 > 1128282389

From: William Ramp <>
Subject: Mortlach MI's and Drywells
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2005 13:46:29 -0600

Many thanks to all who emailed me on and off list re. my Mortlach MI
query. My particular interests (at the moment) are DUNCAN and SHAND in
Mortlach and the Cabrach; in particular the descendants of John DUNCAN
(1767-1855) and Isabel MOIR, including the following:

- John DUNCAN and Mary FORBES (descendants include SYMON and MACPHERSON
of Pittyvaich and Priestswell, Dufftown, also RAMSEY of Boghead)
- Hugh DUNCAN and Jean GORDON (descendants include Geo. DUNCAN,
stationmaster at Turriff, died 1896, James DUNCAN, mill owner, Macduff,
died 1901, also some FINDLAYS and JAMIESONS)
- Helen DUNCAN and Thomas ROBERTSON (of Bodiebae, Cabrach - descendants
numerous, including Thomas ROBERTSON, schoolmaster, Cabrach)
- Robert DUNCAN, farmer, Drumgrain (Drummuir estate)
- James DUNCAN, farmer at Parkmore, Dufftown, family numerous
- George DUNCAN (to Canada, 1836)
- Walter DUNCAN, farmer at Parkbeg, Dufftown, family numerous
- Margared DUNCAN and James HAY (descendants named HAY and MCINTOSH in
and around Dufftown)

I have MI's for the first and second John DUNCAN, above, and for some of
the Parkmore and Parkbeg DUNCANS. Happy to share what I have with
anyone who recognizes one of the above names.

I'm facinated to see the reference to "Drywells" in Alvah in the message
board query re. CATTO-DUNCAN. I had assumed that "my" Drywells (in the
Cabrach, home to the progeny of Robert DUNCAN and Margaret BROUSTER from
about 1766) was unique: now I know of one in Botriphnie as well as one
in Alvah! I assume the reason for the name is fairly self-evident,
though I have occasionally come across the Cabrach Drywells spelt as
"Drywalls."

I have a copy of an old photo of the Cabrach Drywells; happy to make
copies available to anyone with an interest in that Drywells; also to
correspond with anyone who has an interest in the history of the farm..

Bill Ramp
Lethbridge, Alberta

wrote:

>SCT-BANFFSHIRE-D DigestVolume 05 : Issue 181
>
>Today's Topics:
> #1 Mortlach MI's [William Ramp <>]
> #2 [Banff] Mortlach MI's []
> #3 Re: McHattie - Cullen, Portsoy, Ab ["Bob and Brenda McLeish" <b.bmclei]
> #4 Catto - Duncan in Alvah, Banff []
>
>Administrivia:
>To unsubscribe from SCT-BANFFSHIRE-D, send a message to
>

>that contains in the body of the message the command
>
> unsubscribe
>
>and no other text. To contact the list administrator, send mail to
>

>______________________________

> Subject:
> Mortlach MI's
> From:
> William Ramp <>
> Date:
> Sat, 01 Oct 2005 13:45:37 -0600
>

> Apologies in advance if this question was answered some time earlier
> and I've missed it ... in which case, feel free to advise me off-list.
>
> Are the MI's for Mortlach transcribed, or in the process of being
> transcribed?
> Also, is there any index existing, or contemplated, to
> deaths/burials/mortcloth rentals appearing in the Mortlach OPR's or
> Kirk Session records?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Bill Ramp
> Lethbridge AB
>
> ______________________________

> Subject:
> [Banff] Mortlach MI's
>
> Date:
> Sat, 1 Oct 2005 16:01:14 EDT
>

>If these MI's were to be listed it would more than likely be by the Aberdeen
>& NEFHS but I have checked their list and Mortlach is not included in either
>the Published or unpublished lists.
>
>To find out if they are in course you would need to contact them.
>
>Ian A C Scott
>
>______________________________

> Re: McHattie - Cullen, Portsoy, Aberdeen.
> From:
> "Bob and Brenda McLeish" <>
> Date:
> Sun, 2 Oct 2005 10:04:53 +1300
>

>Elizabeth MACHATTIE, Ch 20 June 1824 in Keith, Married Hugh MacLean WILSON, 19 Oct 1845, in Keith.
>
>Elizabeth is the daughter of John MACHATTIE, Ch 18 July 1798, and Susan SMITH. Married 16 Sept 1823 in Keith. Siblings were:
> ALexander 1826
>John 1829 - 1890 married Elizabeth HAY 13 Nov 1851 in Keith, daughter of John HAY and Elizabeth CALDER.
>Graham 1831
>James 1833
>Charles 1836
>Isabella 1838
>
>John MacHattie is the son of James MacHattie ( Ch 26 May 1771 in Rothiemay die 5 May 1859 in Rothiemay) and Christian (Helen) Geddes. Married 29 Jun 1797 in Rothiemay.
>
>James MacHattie is the son of John MacHattie Ch 28 July 1734 in Grange and Janet Lobban married 2 Nov 1755 in Rothiemay.
>
>John MacHattie is the son of Adam MacHattie and Janet Kelman m 29 Jun 1734 in Grange.

> [...]

This thread: