SCT-BANFFSHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > SCT-BANFFSHIRE > 2005-12 > 1134582624

From: Grace <>
Subject: Update on William Mitchell, Georgina Gordon: Ord, St Vincent and Australia
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 09:50:24 -0800 (PST)

I am extremely pleased with all of the wonderful
query on the Gordons (Mitchells) of Banffshire.
Special thanks to Howard, Ian, Alyson and Colleen for
their replies and for checking out the Parish, Digger
and Historical Victoria records for me.

It would appear that Georgina Jane Gordon and sister
Maggie Isabella were indeed born in Richmond,
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia to George Gordon and
Jane Young.

Richmond is an inner suburb of Melbourne, Victoria,
Australia.

From: "Digger - Pioneer Index. Victoria 1836-1888"
Query:- Surname: Gordon / Father: George / Mother:
Jane Young
1. George Alexander Gordon birth 1856 Richmond to
George Gordon & Jane Young (Reg #: 1085)
George Alexander Gordon of George Gordon & Jane
Young death 1856 age 9m Ric (Reg #:739)
2. Georgina Jane Gordon (indexed perhaps as Gina Jane)
birth 1857 Richmond to George Gordon & Jane Young (Reg
#: 9533)
3. Margt Isabella Gordon birth 1859 Richd to Geo
Gordon & Jane Young (Reg #: 18306)

Similar Index Records for the three Australian born
Gordon children can be found in the Historic Index for
Births, Deaths and Marriages at
http://online.justice.vic.gov.au.

With this new knowledge, it would seem that George
Gordon and Jane Young married on 18 Mar 1846, in
Creich, Sutherland, Scotland, and (so far) had 5
children. Its not clear when George Gordon, wife and
Family travelled to Australia or when they returned to
Scotland. One child, George Alexander died as an
infant in Victoria, Australia.

George GORDON
b. 19 Feb 1820, Longhowe, Bellie, Banffshire,
Scotland
d. aft 1890
ch. 28 Feb 1820, Bellie, Banffshire, Scotland
occ. Farmer of 120 acres, (1881)
res. 1881, Alehouse Burn, Banff, Banffshire,
Scotland
& Jane YOUNG
b. abt 1821, Dunkield, Perthshire, Scotland
d. aft 1890
res. 1881, Alehouse Burn, Banff, Banffshire,
Scotland
m. 18 Mar 1846, Creich, Sutherland, Scotland
Andrew GORDON
b. 3 Jan 1847, Creich, Sutherland, Scotland
ch. 5 Feb 1847, Creich, Sutherland, Scotland
& Catherine Christian BROWN
m. 5 Aug 1873, Boyndie, Banffshire, Scotland
Elspet Anne Stirton (Ella) GORDON
b. 18 Jan 1849, Creich, Sutherland, Scotland
d. 1908, Alehouse Burn, Banff, Banffshire, Scotland
ch. 30 Mar 1849, Creich, Sutherland, Scotland
& John GEDDES
George Alexander GORDON
b. 1856, Richmond, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
d. 1856, Richmond, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Georgina Jane GORDON
b. 1857, Richmond, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
d. 10 Aug 1890, Trocheslie, (or perhaps should be
Drochedlie) Fordyce, Banffshire, Scotland
res. 21 Nov 1881, Alehouse House, Ord, Parish of
Banff, Banffshire, Scotland
& William MITCHELL
b. 4 Apr 1854, AuldTown Ord, Banff,
Banffshire,Scotland
ch. 5 Jun 1854, Banff, Banffshire, Scotland
occ. Sugar Planter (1881) Farmer (1889)
res. 1881, Aldton Ord, Parish of Banff, Banffshire,
Scotland
m. 21 Nov 1881, Ord, Banffshire, Scotland
George G. H. MITCHELL
|| b. abt 1882, St Vincent, West Indies
|| occ. Scholar (1891)
|| res. 1891, Drochedlie, Fordyce, Banffshire,
Scotland
||Marge Flo MITCHELL
|| b. abt 1885, Fordyce, Banffshire, Scotland
|| res. 1891, Drochedlie, Fordyce, Banffshire,
Scotland
||Wilbert Montrose MITCHELL
|| b. 17 Mar 1889, Drochedlie, Fordyce, Banffshire,
Scotland
|| occ. Scholar (1901)
|| res. 1901, AuldTown Ord, Ord, Banff,
Banffshire,Scotland

Margaret Isabella (Maggie) GORDON
b. 1859, Richmond, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
res. 1881, Alehouse Burn, Banff, Banffshire,
Scotland

Howard tells me that the Mitchells, Stevensons, and
Gordons abound in the area of interest in Banffshire.
And there is still the puzzling question of the St
Vincent, West Indies and perhaps the sugar plantation
link. So more interesting searching to do!

Many thanks again