SCT-EDINBURGH-L Archives

Archiver > SCT-EDINBURGH > 2007-05 > 1179296651

From: Rosemary Martin <>
Subject: Re: [SCT-EDINBURGH] Phin or Finn
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 14:24:11 +0800

Hi Nicole
After checking the Vic Pioneer & Federation CDs, I think it's very
likely that more of Elizabeth Thomasin's family emigrated to Victoria.
Below are a few entries to start with & I'll be happy to do more lookups
when you're ready. I guess you know that Victorian death certificates
will give you lots of details about Thomas & Elizabeth & would be a good
starting point, including their length of residence in Victoria. Jane's
1853 death certificate could help too. (I can't find their arrival either)
Digger - Pioneer Index. Victoria 1836-1888
Surname: PHIN
Given Names: Thomas
Event: D
Spouse Surname/Father: George
Spouse Gvn Names/Mother: Mary UNKNOWN
Age: 65
Sex:
Birth Place: SCOT
Death Place:
Year: 1863
Reg Number: 3052
Denomination:
Parish:
Fiche:

Digger - Federation Index. Victoria 1889-1901
Surname: PHIN
Given Names: Elizth
Event: D
Sex: F
Spouse Surname/Father: Falconer Jas -------------------[note the IGI
says John Falconer - see below]
Spouse Gvn Names/Mother: Jane COOPER
Age: 82
Age Code:
Birth Place:
Death Place: Warrnambool
Year: 1889
Reg. Number: 19271

ELIZABETH FALCONER
Parents: Father: JOHN FALCONER
Marriages: Spouse: THOMAS PHIN
Marriage: 20 NOV 1826 Saint Cuthberts, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland

Digger - Pioneer Index. Victoria 1836-1888
Surname: PHIN
Given Names: Jane
Event: D
Spouse Surname/Father: Thomas
Spouse Gvn Names/Mother: Elizabeth
Age: 20
Sex:
Birth Place: EDINBURGH
Death Place:
Year: 1853
Reg Number: 1997
Denomination:
Parish:
Fiche:

Surname: PHIN
Given Names: Beatrice
Event: M
Spouse Surname/Father: JOHNSTONE
Spouse Gvn Names/Mother: John
Age:
Sex:
Birth Place: EDINBURGH
Death Place:
Year: 1867
Reg Number: 3083
Denomination:
Parish:
Fiche:

Surname: PHIN
Given Names: Thomas
Event: M
Spouse Surname/Father: JENKINS
Spouse Gvn Names/Mother: William Mina Jane
Age:
Sex:
Birth Place: EDINBURGH
Death Place:
Year: 1868
Reg Number: 4490
Denomination:
Parish:
Fiche:

Surname: PHIN
Given Names: Elizabeth Thomason
Event: M
Spouse Surname/Father: DISCOLL
Spouse Gvn Names/Mother: John
Age:
Sex: F
Birth Place: EDINBURGH
Death Place:
Year: 1873
Reg Number: 2098
Denomination:
Parish:
Fiche:

Surname: PHIN
Given Names: George
Event: M
Spouse Surname/Father: WOOD
Spouse Gvn Names/Mother: Margaret
Age:
Sex: M
Birth Place: EDINBURGH
Death Place:
Year: 1878
Reg Number: 949
Denomination:
Parish:
Fiche:

This entry looks promising

1841 Scotland Census
Name: Thomas Phin
Age: 40
Estimated birth year: abt 1801
Gender: Male
Where born: Midlothian, Scotland
Civil parish: Edinburgh St Stephen
County: Midlothian
Address: India Street
Occupation: Grocer & Wine Meret & Sp Deal
Parish Number: 685/1
Household Members:
Name Age
Agnes Phin 3
Beatrice Phin 5
Elizabeth Phin 30
George Phin 1
Jane Phin 7
Thomas Phin 40
Source Citation: Parish: Edinburgh St Stephen; ED: 3; Year: 1841.

I can't find him in the 1851 census - perhaps Jeanette would check the
1847-48 Edinburgh PO Directory for you?
Jane's death above shows they were in Victoria by 1853.
HTH
Rosemary