SCT-FIFE-L Archives

Archiver > SCT-FIFE > 2005-03 > 1109669379

From: "Loretta Thomas" <>
Subject: George BALDIE/BALDEY & Elizabeth THOMSON
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 20:29:39 +1100

Hello all,

George BALDEY and Elizabeth THOMSON married at St Cuthbert's Edinburgh on
April 7, 1854. George was born in St Andrews, christened there on Nov 23
1828, son of James BALDEY and Margaret KYDD.

George and Elizabeth came to Australia aboard the ship Indian Ocean - their
son James was born at sea on September 4, 1854. They had five known children
altogether - James, plus four born in Australia.

I would really like to know who Elizabeth THOMSON's parents were, for the
following reason: George BALDIE was the chief witness at the inquest of
David THOMSON in Victoria (Aus) in 1879. Poor David was run over by a dray
in the You Yangs mountain range and later died of his injuries. George was
with him at the time, and at the inquest said he had known David for 40
years. As David was only 45 when he died, this seems to indicate a family or
childhood relationship, and I wonder if Elizabeth THOMSON was related to
David THOMSON, or maybe there was some other connection? David was my
husband's great-great-grandfather, married to Mary Ann ANNAL in St Andrews
in 1855. His parents were James THOMSON and Annie Bell GOVAN.

Elizabeth died in 1907 in Victoria, Aus. Her age at death indicates she was
born about 1831. On the death entry her father is named as THOMSON Unknown
and her mother Unknown which isn't very helpful. Elizabeth and George's
children were named James, Agnes, Margaret Kidd, Elizabeth Thomson and
George.

Does anyone know anything about George and Elizabeth - maybe they went
missing from someone's family tree after their marriage? I have information
about their descendants and a few other bits and pieces that I'd be happy to
share.

Thanks lots,
Loretta
in Melbourne, Australia