SCT-FIFE-L Archives

Archiver > SCT-FIFE > 2005-05 > 1115771966

From: Jim Polson <>
Subject: WILKIE - MCGREGOR - MCDONALD
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 17:39:54 -0700

Yes, Joyce, that's the one.

Her mother, Bell MCGREGOR, was from Perth City (parents
James MCGREGOR and Bell ALLAN). The McGregors were
members of the dissenting congregation in Perth, so it's no
surprise that Bell married John WILKIE in the Associate
Congregation of Newburgh.

John WILKIE, a mason, was the son of James Wilkie (1785-1864),
also a mason in Newburgh, and Janet Kemp or Kempie (1785-
1843), probably from Abdie.

James WILKIE was the son of Alexander Wilkie (c1755-?),
another Newburgh mason, and Jean BOYD (c1755-?)

Janet's father, John WILKIE, left Fife before 1851 for Glasgow,
stopping in Perth on the way. His wife Bell died in Glasgow in 1867,
and he died there in 1892.

Janet married John Stewart MCDONALD on the Isle of Whithorn in
Wigtonshire in 1861. Janet seems to have alternated her
childbirths between Stranraer and Glasgow--why, I don't know.
She died in Glasgow in 1902, which removed the obstacle to my
granddad, David Orr MCGHIE, marrying her youngest daughter
Selina.

Now, all the big Wilkies had little Wilkies, and so ad infinitum, as the
verse goes. Let me know if you want any others.

Jim Polson

> I don't have any more information for you but was your Janet WILKIE
> (1843-1902) the daughter of John WILKIE & Isabel McGREGOR (married 1838
> Newburgh)? I have their names in my WILKIE database and it would be nice
> to know a little bit more about them, if possible. Where did Janet die in
> 1902?
>
> These people are not connected to my WILKIEs that I know of but I am
> keeping a small general database of some Fife WILKIEs.

This thread: