SCT-GLASGOW-L Archives

Archiver > SCT-GLASGOW > 2001-10 > 1003183347

From: joyce cochrane <>
Subject: Dunoon.
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 23:02:27 +0100 (BST)

Dear Isobel. Like yourself I was sheltered from the harsher side of life in the 4os and 5os.Theonly homes I can remember are the big convalescent home alon at the end of Argyy st. I think it was mostly people who had been in hospital wwith serious illnesses and was a sort of half-way house between hospital and home. There was also one in Kilmun or Strone a few miles away. The other one was for children and was in King St I think. The children there were in care in Glasgow and came to the seaside for a while. They were there long enough to have to go to school. I was up at it quite a few times but dont remember any mums. We go to Dunoon every year at Hogmanay and I meet quite a lot of people I knew as a child. If you can wait till then I will see what I can find out for you. Its only about 9 weeks away. Also the Regristrar for Dunoonn is in Kirk St as far as I can remember. One last thing, the Argyll Hotel has a Heritage Centre incorporated. I always intendeed to go in but s!
o far havent got round to it. If you think of anything else let me know. All the Best Joyce in damp and drizzly Ballynahinch

This thread: