SCT-INVERNESS-L Archives

Archiver > SCT-INVERNESS > 1999-08 > 0934052425

From: Karen MacRae <>
Subject: MACGILLIVRAY - Sleat, Isle of Skye
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 1999 20:00:25 +0100

Hi Don,

We may have a connection here. I have a Christy MCGILLIVRAY who married
John MACKINNON in Sleat round about 1815/17. She had several children,
but I only know the names of two - Catherine, born 1824 and Alexander,
born 1817 in Ord, Sleat. Your Christy may have been one of the other
children.

Camuscross, Duisdale Beag and Cruard (not sure how you spell this last
one, but other two are current spellings) are all places in the parish
of Sleat. Camuscross and Cruard are side by side.

There are still a lot of MACLUREs in Sleat today.

Regarding your FINDLAYs - Broadford is a village in the south of Skye,
in the parish of Strath, the second biggest population centre on the
island. Raasay is another island off the east coast of Skye and is
included in the parish of Portree, which is the capital of Skye. The
population of Raasay is only about 200, so it might be easy to trace
your ancestors there. I do not know of any FINDLAYs there now, but
that's not to say there aren't any.

If you want any more information I will try to help, and I look forward
to hearing from you about Christy MACGILLIVRAY.

Best regards

Karen MacRae

In message <>, Don MacLure
<> writes